Domestic & General Employee Reviews

Great place of work
Call Centre Agent (Former Employee) –  Brighton, East Sussex30 July 2017
Really enjoyed working for this amazing company they have helped me build on new skills and helped me become more successful in my working life the team was amazing
Nice company to work for
Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Wimbledon, Greater London3 July 2017
Domestic and General was a very good company to work for and I thoroughly enjoyed my time there, being for 16 years since leaving school.

Underwriting was a great job to do and involved working with all areas of the business, incuding sales, accounts, IT and services.

The culture in the company was very good.
Pros
Excellent working environment
Cons
Graduates favoured
Awful
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Brighton, East Sussex29 June 2017
I worked for this company for a few months and I have to say it was the worst employment of my life so far. I have had many jobs previous to this one, but this one was a seriously bad place to work. "Managers" overlooking things they shouldn't overlook, and firing people based upon mental health issues. Absolutely disgusting.
Pros
You do get paid for answering a phone
Cons
But end up losing your pay if you don't adhere to their ridiculous exoectations, and if you have a problem they pretend to care and then end up firing you.
Great for Sales Expertise
Call Centre Representative (Former Employee) –  Nottingham, Nottinghamshire9 May 2017
D&G is heavily sales based, so if you have a more introverted personality, you may struggle here. With a constant stream of incoming calls, daily work life is extremely busy and energetic, requiring you to meet targets on sales. Up-selling on products, objection handling and inputting customer information accurately. Management were extremely supportive and positive.
Pros
Supportive management, competitive salary
Cons
Very strict on sales targets, no lunch options.
Get out what you put in
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Customer Support, Brighton28 April 2017
If you put the effort in your get rewarded. The targets are challenging but I was on probably £400 per month in commission and I wasn't one of the best sellers. There are some negative people there yes, but if you get your head day and hit your targets you don't need to worry about them. The ones who complain are the ones who expect the world on a plate.
Pros
Free coffee, free wifi
Cons
Sunday shifts
Productive, fun workplace and nice colleagues
Manager (Former Employee) –  Brighton, East Sussex11 April 2017
Business objectives/ goals / targets are becoming more aligned to the business needs. A lot has been invested within the training which is starting to see the benefits. Career progression can be challenging for leaders even when you are creative there is not much variety.

Senior management need to be more flexible and not lead with the same style as this does not get the best from your staff, supportive is not something observed, more directive and this can lead to demotivation and as a consequence have seen staff leave. No trust!
Pros
Ever changing to keep abreast with competitive markets
Cons
Process and timeframes
very fun work enviroment.
Sales Agent (Former Employee) –  Brighton, East Sussex9 April 2017
I really enjoyed my time at D&G I was taken on as temp just to cover the busy few months leading up to christmas. i loved working here the people were so lovley and always willing to help as and when you needed it. i made lots of new freinds who were also taken on as temp workers and developed an inside and ouside relationship with them. I learnt alot while i was here. i learnt how to handle situations more calmly and lots of new customer service techniques.
Pros
perfect job enviroment.
Micromanaged and Frustrating
Sky Inbound agent (Former Employee) –  Brighton, East Sussex7 April 2017
This job had me working 7 day weeks with no extra pay or benefits. I was hired in a customer service capacity, it was clear however that the actual role was nothing of the sort. It was extremely sales based, and customer service was not encouraged at all. Everything is micromanaged and nobody seems to have any power to enact change in the company. Booking any sort of leave was an impossible task, and sometimes they would 'block' entire months so that nobody could even request the time-off using the online system.
Cons
Horrendous shifts, poor pay
customer support agent
Customer Support Agent (Former Employee) –  Brighton and Hove, East Sussex6 April 2017
I worked in D&G for a year and 2 months. The job of the customer support team is mostly giving details of repair agents and reciting the phonetic alphabet. The customers are mostly nice with the occasional rude one. most of the complaints sent toward D&G actually are just people not understanding how the company works. They sell warranty for domestic appliances. This is not insurance and so cannot be regulated or your complains cannot be taken up with the ombudsman. The staff are mostly nice and most of the workforce is young and student based. Their turnover however is a joke. You will likely see an entirely new workforce (with exception to those that have stayed) every month or so. The hours are long and do not provide a decent work/life balance. You HAVE to work weekends sometimes. The commission is now capped and they have been promising a pay rise for some time, however cannot ever seem to ever tell us when or what it would be. Targets are always a problem, especially sales targets. I found this even after the higher managers took us into a meeting and said 'we are moving toward a customer service role'. Its not. Its sales. You can do little to help customers as the way the company is designed to pass the blame on repair agencies or any other outsourced companies they use. Its a good social environment but i will echo the statements of others, it will wear you down. The pay is pretty weak, especially after capping the commission and they seem to like having people for a short period of time until you either leave or they dismiss you.
Pros
meet loads of people.
Cons
pay is low compared to other call centres. mentally draining. too many pushy sales targets.
The cause to my anxiety
Sky outbound (Former Employee) –  Brighton, East Sussex29 March 2017
I worked in SKY outbound for about 4 months. Not only were the targets too high but every single day you were pushed and pushed too the limit. There are so many things that i hated about the job. The commision was good but it really wasnt worth it. I now have another job as a customer service agent. It is in another call centre but people are ringing up purely to book appontments so everyone is so nice and friendsly. However i didnt realise how much the D&G job effected me as i now suffer from anxiety.
The thought of answering the next call (even though it will be someone nice and friendly on the other end) and dreading being shouted at or abused over the phone.
I am only 3 weeks into this new job. I get anxiety about going into work so much that sometimes i can break down in tears. I have been to A&E with an anxiety attack.

Stay away from this place, it will mess you up!
Pros
Commision but still not worth it
Cons
Too many to say!!
over all decent place
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Nottingham, Nottinghamshire13 March 2017
good place to work if you can hit targets, can be repetitive some times, relaxed place but can be mentally draining. people are really laid back. down side is that they have you in on really flexible shifts, i once worked new year day and 2 boxing days which was awful as no one rang to register any thing
Pros
hour lunch 2 15 min breaks
Cons
long hrs
good money if you can hack it
Customer Support Agent (Former Employee) –  Brighton26 January 2017
The hours are a killer and I found the rostered hours varied too much to have a work/life balance. The hours rotate on a cycle, it includes 8-9 hour days, sometimes 7 days in a row with only 1 or 2 days off, and working 3 weekends every 5 weeks. Also required to work between 7am and 10pm, so early morning and late nights are no fun.

The job itself is can be tough because you mostly have to deal with unhappy customers and there's not much that you can do to help them. The work is very repetitive. People will be suited to the job if you have strong-spines, who can be positive, and who are good with not letting things effect them.

Money is good (commission from sales), if you can stand the hours and the sales mentality. Also, management does try lots of things to improve environment and morale. I made a lot of friends there, it's a social workplace.
not the best place to work
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Sheffield13 January 2017
the manager wasnt nice at all always had a sour look on his face and a really bad attitude and never did any work. a lot of the customers complain and i dont blame them because. dont get cover with D&G
Pros
most agents are nice
Cons
horrible managers
Applied for a Team Leader role.......
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Brighton3 January 2017
Turned up for the first interview to be told they had been trying to call/email me to reschedule (no email or missed calls). Review showed no email or calls at their end!.

I got asked to attend a second interview upon which I raised a few concerns having read several reviews. No response to email or voicemails. I was called and was told they could do nothing until the New Year.

I log in today to see my application has been cancelled.

Their HR whilst very friendly is totally inept and unprofessional.
Productive and knowledgeable
Contact Centre Agent (Former Employee) –  Brighton, East Sussex1 January 2017
While working at domestic and general I gained the knowledge of appliances and warranties also gained great customer service in this job all the staff are nice
commision is excellent
Sales & Service Administrator (Current Employee) –  Nottingham, Nottinghamshire6 December 2016
Inbound calls, registering appliances and selling warranties on the back of it. Good training provided. Progression opportunities available and excellent commission provided on top of salary.
Pros
good comission
Cons
shift work
High turnover, good for students, low barrier to entry
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Nottingham City Centre, Nottinghamshire30 November 2016
Worked here during my college studies. As a call centre, you can't expect much more than answering phones and working towards targets etc. Was often on the skeleton shift (sundays), so not enough staff for the number of calls coming through, and only one team leader available at any one time, who in my experience wouldn't be interested in supporting staff.
Pros
5p drinks machine
Cons
Stress, Shift patterns, Clocks different to most others (read many missed buses at night)
Absolutely Terrible
Call Centre Agent (Former Employee) –  Nottingham City Centre26 May 2016
This job is not all that it's cracked up to be. False Promises is the only Promise Domestic and General know how to keep.

You get penalised for taking bathroom breaks or getting water. When you're sick you are required to call every single day being asked a series of invasive questions about your illness and what you're doing to get better. The management don't do anything to help you progress. This is an ideal job for someone that's not looking for progression. Sales are unobtainable targets and you're mostly working 7 days a week to have 2 says off. All of this they do not tell you during the training period.

That's how they get you to stay. By telling you unrealistic promises during training to make you stay. I and a few of my colleagues were promised team leader promotions and they never gave us any start dates. When you asked when you can start as a team leader , they tell you when the new teams come. Meanwhile 5 new teams came and we wasn't able to team lead. They all give you false promises .

The team leaders give you a HR meeting if you're sick more than 3 times in the year. Which could lead to you losing your job.

You get questioned by the call centre manager why you're not making sales although you get 30 minutes of availability at a time. Sometimes there aren't enough seats for agents and you're left looking for a seat for 20 minutes in the beginning of your shift. And then get in trouble for being late.

If you take a call that over takes your break you get penalised for not following adherence . However if you avoid the call you can and will
  more... lose your job.  less
Pros
Getting money I suppose.
Cons
Going to work.
Working at Domestic and General
Call Centre Agent (Former Employee) –  Nottingham17 May 2016
Working at this company was a good experience of sales, they provided you with the key knowledge to succeed as a sales agent. High pressure environment was at a high and i succeeded all that to become kept on in a permanent role after 3 months.

I learned key things working at Domestic and General such as sales techniques and customer service techniques in the job.

Co workers were nice people and easy to get along with, working as a team is key in a business and helping one another when the times are tough to help the business succeed.

The hardest part of the job was to stay with the required targets in terms of amount of sales and the customer service level within the business.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the challenging aspect of the job, trying to reach the sales target can be a fun part because you give yourself targets to achieve every day. Talking to certain customers was enjoyable too because you can have a good laugh with customers when doing your job.
Pros
Free hot and cold drinks, Salary, co workers and a good hospitality.
Cons
High pressure
Good co workers and good job but no brilliant structure to the job
Outbound Call Centre Agent (Current Employee) –  Nottingham9 May 2016
I start work at half 11 in the morning, Doing outbound sales to sky customers after welcoming them and telling them about free apps before pitching to them about insurance for there sky equipment and there devices in there home Regulated sales.Got on with all my co-workers and helped them and trained them to improve there performance and maximise sales,The hardest part of the job for me was to represent to the customer but i work very hard to over come that and sell accordingly.I always exceeded my targets for the month,The most enjoyable part of the day would be the challenge of overcoming objections and then make a sale
Pros
Free coffee and great commission and basic
Cons
Unsociable hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Domestic & General. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8