DISC Employee Reviews

I was only temporary
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Durham6 September 2017
I was on placement with DISC so cannot comment on most of the aspects mentioned on here. I enjoyed my time there doing the work that I enjoyed most. Fun.
Nice place to work
Floating Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Newton Aycliffe10 July 2017
Managers are very approachable and understanding. Team members were nice . Job could be stressful at times but also very rewarding. The down side is job security due to funding and if you take on more responsibilities sadly those above won't acknowledge it
Pros
Supportive staff
Cons
Job security
Fantastic place to work, really miss my old team and clients.
Senior DIP Worker (Former Employee) –  Leeds28 November 2016
This organisation afforded me the most support, training and development I have ever had the pleasure of receiving to aid me be the best worker I could be. I really miss the team, the clients and the feel of the place. Very friendly, hard working group of people, who really care about their roles and responsibilities.
Great Team, Good Ethos
Acohol and Drug Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Manchester14 April 2016
Team Support Great, hardest part of job is when you work lates and are on call if your called out in the middle of the night, it has a knock on effect for the rest o the week.

Other than that reqally enjoy the job
Pros
Team Support
Cons
on call hours
good place to work
receptionist/administrator TEMP (Current Employee) –  North Yorkshire3 December 2015
I enjoyed the time I were there I were involved with reception and admin duties I were involved in making appointments for clients using system one
Productive, challenging but fun workplace
Teacher and Mentor (Former Employee) –  Newton Aycliffe29 October 2014
Working with young adults some of a vulnerable nature as a voluntary teacher/mentor - teaching life skills. Was a fun and enjoyable role and would have loved to remain here on a permanent paid basis.
Disc
Developement Worker Research (Former Employee) –  Preston, ENG19 July 2014
Daily
Mon ring around to complete the questionnaires all day and check the ones that are in.

The report was done for the Management Committee after 5 weeks and the end report after 9 weeks.

Working out the percentages was the hardest part of the job and writing wasn't that hard but time consuming.
Pros
getting paid higher
Cons
not even hours to do the work
Staff team work excellent
Evening Accommodation Worker (part-time) (Former Employee) –  Bradford, ENG23 June 2014
Starting with a handover and read up of any important information. Find out if any residents wanted to do anything. If nothing was organised then to see if anyone would engage in doing something. Even if it was a game of pool, id get them out their room. Organising a game of 'Killer pool' or a game of bingo or just down to watch a DVD.
I carried out drug tests and breath tests on a regular basis. It was very difficult to find someone had lapsed and be given notice to leave but very rewarding if someone changed their life around and was ready to move into their own accommodation with a plan.
Pros
Parking and free coffee. Lone working - enjoyable.
Cons
Lone working - moments of stress
Productive, warm and friendly workplace
Voluntary support worker (Current Employee) –  Hartlepool7 June 2014
A typical day at disc is meeting and greeting service users, lending an ear if required by them, give advice if requested, most importantly making sure the service user feels part of a community. The time I have spent at Disc has taught me to be more compassionate towards people who are in a difficult place in their life. The managers and co-workers are very supportive to the service users and to myself. The hardest part of the job would be to see one of the service users relapse and watch them beat themselves up. On the other-hand I was lucky to be involved in the celebration of two service users being awarded a job as they had been clean for their target time, the atmosphere and the joy it brought not only to those service users but their support workers was remarkable.
monotonous
recovery assistant (Former Employee) –  Manchester, ENG25 September 2013
A typical day would involve dealing with chaotic clients and helping them address their issues and move on with their lives. I found my colleagues supportive but the work was very stressful.