Debenhams Employee Reviews

Terrible
Temporary Worker (Former Employee) –  Perth, Perth and Kinross22 November 2017
I walked out of here today as management were trying to get me to do shifts that weren't agreed when they gave me the job. I have a child at school. I was really upset about this. Some of the staff are terrible especially older management in menswear and the guy in suits. I would not advise anyone to work here.
Lovely Team
Sales Assistant (Part-Time) (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth22 November 2017
I worked on the Lingerie Department, and the team I worked with were lovely people, and I can honestly say that they are part of the reason I have not left Debenhams.
Pros
Good Staff Discount
Cons
Lots of Focus on Debenhams Cards
Excellent Staff - Average Management System
Catering Manager (Former Employee) –  Winchester, Hampshire18 November 2017
I enjoyed every day I worked here apart from the Winter months - the support network was mainly verbal and less about support from the front line when doing daily tasks. Would recommend anyone to take a position here, however some branches may or may not have the best management team.
Pros
Great team, friendly regular customer
Cons
No lunch, no hot drinks, strict ruling with no explanation
Busy and fast pace
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire18 November 2017
Although I loved my co-workers at Debenhams, I found the environment too stressful to work in and some of the staff quite hostile. The pay was very low and I had to find something more suitable for my lifestyle.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Low pay
Bad Management
Waitress/Kitchen Assistant (Former Employee) –  Trafford Centre, Greater Manchester16 November 2017
This review could be outdated as I haven't worked here for a few years, however my time at Debenhams was satisfactory. The people I worked with were the most amazing people and we bonded over the bad management! Staff were shouted at by managers for reasons that were down to bad management! It took leaving to realise how mistreated we were.
Not amazing
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Croydon15 November 2017
Was fairly okay, however, on dead shifts and sometimes even quite lively shifts. Was asked to do fairly mundane tasks, and then asked to re-do and re-check that the mundane tasks had been done.
great compang
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wigan Central15 November 2017
job roles varied each day. you got to meet different people and help them with there purchases. I learned different skills such as stock taking and till training.
Pros
staff discount
Cons
none really
Great
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Middlesbrough, North Yorkshire15 November 2017
My day at work would be serving different customers and cleaning and selling watches and jewellery, even thought sometimes I would be put on different departments to help out other customers and serve them.
workplace
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear10 November 2017
i enjoyed the work i completed in lingerie and worked as part of a team i learnt a lot about the retail trade and built confidence when working with customers. The management were understanding and provided relevant training in the job and culture and ethos was good.
Pros
discount
Cons
travel and long hours
productive
Loss Prevention Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Basingstoke, Hampshire9 November 2017
Low wages,Nice people the problem is with Retail is that they dont pay as much money that is required.Good job in loss prevention on CCTV.There are a lot better companies to work for

Want to know more about Debenhams?

Ask a question
Good for Part-time work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London9 November 2017
Working here is like any other retail store. A good place to get part time work. The job was never too demanding and management were very professional.
Visual Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Coventry, West Midlands9 November 2017
Debenhams is a good company to work for. The staff at very friendly and easy to get along with and communicate with. The mangers are understanding and helpful
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
Early hours
Great environment
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Blackburn, Lancashire8 November 2017
Despite being a department store and separated into various categories I.E Menswear, Restaurant, fragrances etc. It was a lovely environment to work with as everyone was in the same boat working towards the same goal
Lovely workplace
Sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Swindon8 November 2017
Always a happy environment, everyone was so polite and warming, and were always help and advise if things were difficult or hard to understand. hardest part of the job was the late hours through the christmas period.
Pros
discount on clothes
Cons
Very energetic workplace and job
Marketing (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London7 November 2017
It really is never a dull day working in the Debenhams offices; there's always something on your plate but you rarely hesitate to get it done as it is such an encouraging work environment.
New Strategy bringing much needed change
Programme Manager (Current Employee) –  London7 November 2017
Great people to work with.
Struggle with excessive process and procedure in some areas of IT
New Strategy is bringing about much needed change.
Pros
Good perks, nice office, nice people
Fun and challenging work place
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  London5 November 2017
Debenhams always try to help their employees. Everyone gets a chance to progress but sometimes it takes to long to get recognized.

Overall it is a fair place to be part of.
Pros
Friendly coworkers
Cons
Not enough staff at pick times
My time at the job
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire5 November 2017
Typical day was.. coming into the store (I worked in the clothes section), given a pointless pep talk from supervisors and the manager of the clothing section. This talk was about what the stores targets on sales for the day, the whole store and our section in particular. Now why I find this not only meaningless because how exactly do you as a store worker affect to any great degree how much the store makes its laughable. Secondly it just rubbed it in your face the fact your on such a low wage while the store was raking in the money.

The job itself was boring repetitive and just made you become a brain dead zombie from the non challenging nature of the work. Tidy this stand of clothes, help people at the changing room or look for shoes in the shoe room for customers.

hardest part of the job is simply to not fall asleep, which I almost did twice in the stock room due to day dreaming from utter boredom.

I worked here full time for three long months before I left.
Pros
You always had plenty of time to day dream.
Cons
You can feel IQ points dripping out of your brain by the day. Horrible rates of pay, typical dead end job.
retail
Supervisor/Manager (Current Employee) –  Inverness5 November 2017
customer service
account selling
dealing with public
dealing with money

hardest part selling accounts & dealing with managers who dont work with you.
Pros
people you work with
Cons
managers late nights &selling accounts
fun workplace and great staff benefits
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside3 November 2017
a typical day at work was always good fun. I gained a lot of confidence whilst working at Debenhams as I was always socialising and interacting with customers and colleagues.
Pros
20% Staff discount
Cons
Always on your feet

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Debenhams. Our community is ready to answer.