Debenhams Employee Reviews

Sort: Helpful | Rating | Date
Very customer focused
Sales manager (Current Employee) –  Nuneaton22 September 2017
Great company very customer focused and promotion are within the company to drive the talent. Very good at praising staff monthly and yearly celebrations.
Pros
Company pension
Supportive and friendly team
Visual Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Newbury21 September 2017
I worked alongside 3 other members of the visual merchandising team, who took the time to train me in all the required aspects of health and safety. Being that we spent a lot of time working in isolation, we grew quickly as a close knit team, who I felt I could count on for help around the workplace.
Good for part time
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear20 September 2017
Quite boring but still a decent wage. If you're a university of college student this job would be great for the short term, but it's highly repetitive and involves being bored at least 75% of your shift. Quite arrogant management, extremely friendly co-workers though.
Pros
Fair wage and good working hours
Cons
Very boring
great launch pad
Senior Sales Adviser (Current Employee) –  Inverness19 September 2017
A great stepping stone for people looking for a career in retail, with in-house talent program for those wishing to advance in the company. Staff are very friendly and helpful. However, management can be very tough on staff with little to no praise and focus is always on accounts which gets tiresome very quickly, especially with poor benefits.
Pros
great advancement
Cons
poor benefits and management
easygoing job
Menswear shop assistant (Former Employee) –  Woking19 September 2017
Perfect for a first job, everyone gets along easy, training was to a high standard, knowledge of how to run a professional business was good. nothing really bad to say about Debenhams
great experience in retail
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Westfield19 September 2017
challenging, fast paced and on the ball job.
Enjoyable to work with colleagues as a team
diverse customers
Great team
Great store
Loads of delivery makes the day go quick
Fashion accessories is good experience to gain in store and fun
Good place to work.
Sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Weymouth19 September 2017
A strong salary for a 16-17 year old at the time. Lots of hours were provided and the work was challenging but enjoyable at times. Good support as well from management.
Very fun place to work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ilford18 September 2017
Everyone is nice there and lovely to work with. Had learnt a lot from working there had helped me become more punctual and helped my communication with people become better.
Pros
great colleagues
Different yet enjoyable.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wigan13 September 2017
When working at Debenhams there was never really a typical day at work. Every day would be slightly different, dependent on the customers and the generals queries that were brought in. The environment was generally exciting and busy, with you always having something to do. I learnt more about being in the public eye and working closely with the general public. The hardest part was that customers can sometime be rude, especially given that they sometimes expect more form you than you are able to offer. The most enjoyable part of the job was the fact that no shift would ever be the same and that the people who came in would always be so different from those you may have met the day before.
too much criticism and stress
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Taunton, Somerset12 September 2017
The job isn't worth minimum wage. the amount of work you have to do throughout the day, including jobs that aren't in your job description, and the lack of thanks you get for doing your best isn't worth it.

the management don't care at all about anything but their targets and never own up to their own mistakes, instead blaming it on the staff lower down.

the amount of people i've seen crying and panicking because of the pressure for accounts is ridiculous.

Dealing with awful customers is just a walk in the park in relation.
Pros
discount, and the sales advisors and supervisors are the loveliest people ever.
Cons
management who only care about themselves, lack of empathy, awful management. ridiculous rota pattern and pay
Fair place to work
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Lincoln11 September 2017
As far as sales jobs go, its a nice one to have, satisfactory discount too. Always pushing for results so if that drives you, great. Hardest part dealing with customers, but then that's the same wherever!
Productive workplace.
Visual Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Basildon10 September 2017
A typical day at this workplace would be to be told my instructions for a task, i.e. visually merchandising a stand or replenishing stock. The workplace was sometimes busy and sometimes quiet depending on the part of the day.
Pros
None.
Cons
Work can be strenuous.
Culture of bullying and back stabbing.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stockton-on-Tees10 September 2017
If your new you have no chance of fitting in, you are disrespected and put down by other staff members, it is very clicky, it is a horrible place to work. You work long hours with short breaks and the wages really do not live up to the work load you have and the stress of feeling pushed out and unhappy at work. I would not recommend working here, ever.
Pros
Absolutely none
Cons
Awful staff, awful wages
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Norwich, Norfolk7 September 2017
Very relaxed if only doing a few days a week. People are lovely to work with and have found many friends within this job. Not the best job of you have children
Pros
20% discount
Cons
Having to be fully flexible
Ok
Food Services Adviser (Current Employee) –  Ashford7 September 2017
Not a bad place to work, but no career progression. Small team which I enjoy. Management slow on follow up of queries. Not kept up to date on procedure changes.
Pros
Small team
Cons
Not enough hours
Hard working
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Walsall, West Midlands5 September 2017
I've worked for this company around 4 weeks as it was for work experience. I noticed it is a very harding company and team members get along, which is the most important thing in a company. Also, while working in this company I improved on my confidents by talking to customers and enjoyed it really well because the conversations where showing me how welcome they feel around me.
Good work place
Sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Basildon, Essex3 September 2017
Loved working here helping people with outfits for all occasions, big store with all different apartments. Staff was always lovely and kind, could always have a laugh.
Pros
Sofa in staffroom
Poison atmosphere
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Inverness, Highland2 September 2017
Secure job good benefits but the two faced backstabbing "i know better" attitude from certain staff was something i'd never came accross in my working life before mostly from the older employees who had been there since it opened. Some good people there but again the backstabbing.....WOW!!
Pros
Staff card
Cons
Backstabbing two faced culture
As a sales assistant
Sales Assistant (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, Hampshire1 September 2017
Quite understaffed so always quite busy
Unorganised and lazy management
Most enjoyable part of the job were the colleagues-very nice, friendly and inviting people
easy job but awful management
Pros
nice people to work with
Cons
management
good work atmosphere
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Swindon1 September 2017
I worked with some excellent members of staff and it was a lovely atmosphere. however the management is not always great and we were often short staffed. however I liked my job and it has given me great experience.
Pros
good breaks
Cons
poor management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Debenhams. Our community is ready to answer.

Debenhams Reviews by Location