Costa Employee Reviews

fun but bad pay
Costa Coffee Barista Maestro (Current Employee) –  Mildenhall, Suffolk24 October 2017
love the work environment every team is always so fun to work with. day spent on tills, coffee machine, grills, cleaning and talking to customers. Pay improves after 1 year of being there and if you are a BM
Pros
free coffee
Cons
wanting a nap 24/7 and being poor
good place to work
Barista (Former Employee) –  Cornwall18 October 2017
hard fast pace job fun place good benefits wonderful staff great benefits hardest part of day was closing a lot to do and the best part was the wonderful customers i met
Pros
staff discount
Cons
long days
productive and orgainsed
Barrista (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, Cambridgeshire10 September 2017
Costa was very good experience for me as it taught me how to handle with certain customers, and also that punctuality is very important.
The hardest part of the job was definitely making the coffee as you had to really get the hang of it.
The most enjoyable part of the job was whilst worming on the till.
Pros
discounts
avoid like the plaque
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Castle Donington, Leicestershire24 August 2017
the job itself was enjoyable, if your after learning from the bottom of your career. However, the management could do a lot better. The staff are miserable due to being under so much pressure to meet the managements targets and popularity. it was that bad, I had a member of staff who was making my life a misery while working there, to the point it was actually classed as bullying, and the manager told me to drop the complaint or walk away ... was completely humiliated and discusted. certainly wouldn't recommend to anyone
Pros
staff discount
Cons
the management couldnt less
Great work place
Barista Maestro (Former Employee) –  Clacket Lane M252 August 2017
Great place to work , with great pace of work, large area of work and very friendly people. Left due to difficulty in transport (M25), took too long to get too and there was some traffic interruptions a lot of the time.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Good
Barista (Former Employee) –  Sheffield, South Yorkshire19 July 2017
Every day was almost exactly the same, came to work and did my job with a few bad customers and a few good customers. Nothing too exciting happened but it was fun to be with the team I had and I was good at my job so rarely encountered many problems.
Pros
Half price on all the food
Cons
Long hours of standing up and many injuries like burns and cuts
great place to work
Barista (Current Employee) –  York13 June 2017
Costa has been a great place to work with excellent training, benefit and reward schemes.

I worked with an awesome team who would always help out when needed.

It was also a fun work environment although stressful at times when we were busy and short staffed.

I never felt unappreciated and felt like I was recognised and praised for the hard work that I put in.
Pros
fun work place, great team, discouted meals, rewards and good training
Cons
can get extermely busy
Fun working enviroment
Supervisor/Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Rotherham, South Yorkshire12 June 2017
Good salary for any age. Good links for progression. Team environment. High standards of customer service, health and safety and other protocol. 50% off food when working, 25% off lots of Whitbread owned companies.
very good
Barista Maestro (Supervisor) (Former Employee) –  Colchester7 April 2017
was a good place to work but the dismissal i had was ridiculious got dismissed for a stupid reason but other than that i loved working in this place i really do miss it
Hated it
Barista/Waitress (Former Employee) –  Coventry, West Midlands7 April 2017
First impressions were great the management and staff were all lovely, but after a while you realise they are ver clicks and if you wasn't it that click they were vile to you. For me I didn't like the way they treated the younger staff and the pay was rubbish for the amount of work which was being put in. Never a thank you and the end of a shift for the work you have done.
Fun workplace
Barista/Waitress (Former Employee) –  Basingstoke, Hampshire31 March 2017
on a typical day I would be on the bar making drinks for customers and cleaning my work station and when I'm not on the bar I would be cleaning tables emptying bins and stocking up milk, cups etc. The most enjoyable thing about working there was making customers happy and meeting their every need.
Pros
Free drinks
Cons
Swapping shifts
Fun work place, beneficial
Barista (Current Employee) –  Aldershot23 March 2017
Costa is a brilliant place to work as it as given me much more confidence to try new skills and learn new things, its never boring as there is always something to do and to be able to meet new people everyday that I work is very interesting. A typical day at work is very busy as you're never sticking to one job, when I start I will be on till for a few hours then I help with coffee and then go on floor to make sure everything is clean or if anything needs refilling. The hardest part of the job is learning to make the coffees and remembering how many shots or coffee for what drink and how to make them. The part I most enjoy is the job a a whole because each day is always different which is something I like in a job also learning new skills is something Costa has boosted.
Pros
welcoming and friendly
Cons
long working hours
Negative morale, insufficient training
Barista (Former Employee) –  Leeds20 March 2017
Typical day at work meant there was always busy lines given the location of the Costa.
- Learn how to make several drinks but not enough training to feel comfortable, then management would expect perfect results and for you to be able to make and serve every item to spec, despite not being shown. Or, you'd be given rough ingredient guides and only had time to look over these while there was a busy que.
- Management wasn't very personable
- Hardest part was trying your best yet not feeling comfortable at the job, a lot was figuring out things for yourself
Always productive, never a dull moment.
Barista (Former Employee) –  Northamptonshire19 March 2017
I thought working at costa was a great time. The week of work experience I had there was certainly an excellent first time job, and I would highly recommend it.
Pros
Discount off food
Cons
Tiring for first few days
good place to work
Barista (Former Employee) –  Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire17 March 2017
good place to work but the place I worked I didn't get enough experience on the job however if you have a passion for this line of work then it is very good experience to have
I enjoyed my time at costa.
Barista (Former Employee) –  Kettering, Northamptonshire28 February 2017
I am grateful for costa. It was the first real job that i got and very fortunate for it. I was on tills, potwash and collector. I was nervous about progressing but im grateful for the experience and it helped me gain more confidence and now i feel more confident in doing other things and progressing anywhere i go.
Pros
the management and the collegues
Fun workplace.
Barista/Waitress (Former Employee) –  Old Street Station17 February 2017
I enjoyed working there as it was inside the Moorfield eye hospital therefore I had many known customers which made it fun working there.
Ok
Barista (Former Employee) –  Leven22 January 2017
A typical day was busy and would involve many tasks. I learnt how to make coffee and serving skills. The management wasn't that good and I had a few issues.
Pros
50% discount
Cons
hours were too varied
Had a good time with in a short perior oft time
Green grocer (Former Employee) –  London12 January 2017
I am very passionate about fresh produce and juicee, I have vast experience with customers and a understanding what the customer wants, I enjoy seeing the customer happy and coming back.
Fun and a fast paced enviroment
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Pangbourne, Berkshire11 January 2017
I learnt a lot at my time at Costa, I figured out how to balance my work and social life. I learnt how to build good relationships with regular customers, I learnt how to deal with different situations in the appropriate manner and had fun with all my colleagues while doing it. I had very good relationship with the management team as they were always there to help me improve. The hardest part of my job was when the store was busy at peak hours. I had to ensure that I did my job role to the required standards expected from my manager. This was important because as a supervisor the roles assigned to me were normally priority roles.This meant that other roles for following employees could not normally be achieved unless I was on top of my task list. This help me to develop my time management skills, handling stress under busy working conditions and my communications skills when working with in a team to get job roles done. The most enjoyable part of my job was working face to face with customers and getting to know them.
Pros
50% off of food and drink and payed holiday
Cons
I felt limited in how far I could go in the company