COLLEGE OF WEST ANGLIA Employee Reviews

Some hardworking and helful collegues but horrendous changes to job role.
Learning Support Officer (Former Employee) –  King's Lynn14 September 2017
I worked at the college for over 10 years, the first 8 were happy and productive. Gradually all the fun and humanity was sacked out of the job role. Staff are monitored all of the time, hot drinks are not allowed unless it is lunchtime and there is a bullying culture. Staff are expected to perform invasive nursing techniques on students with no training.
Pros
Shortish hours and nice people and students.
Cons
Bullying culture and role gets worse every year.
Good Employer
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Wisbech, Cambridgeshire16 August 2017
The College are a good employer who have high standards. The working week was Monday - Friday working between 06:00 ad 14:00 and consisted of dealing with Students/Staff and visitors. My role also included general Admin work as well as first aid and being responsible, as part of a team, for the safety and security of the site.
Pros
hours of work
Cons
training
Generally friendly and supportive
Progress Coach (Former Employee) –  Milton, Cambridgeshire24 June 2017
Overall this can be a great place to work - as with any company it can depend a lot on both the individual and the team that you end up working with. It can be difficult to maintain a work/life balance at times but this is the nature of working in education.
shocking lack of respect
Tutor (Former Employee) –  college of west anglia23 January 2017
The management are more concerned about stripping back staff numbers so only a skeleton crew remain. This leads to huge stress from staff and students. They're more focussed with new buildings than protecting and supporting students and staff.

Appalling, bullying management on all levels, with a shocking HR dept. I wouldn't work in that hole again if my life depended on it. They took a positive, excited teacher and turned them into someone what will never teach again. If you want to teach, do not work here.
Pros
students
Cons
everything else
student
Work Experience Placement (Former Employee) –  cambridge6 November 2016
full time course been there two years and still attending.
feeding animals and cleaning out, walking and general care of animas
Poor job security and blame culture
Anon (Former Employee) –  Norfolk4 October 2016
Not a good place to work, there is no job security and a lack of recpect from senior managers along side an entrenched blame culture.

Restructures happen every year depending on your abilty to " fit in/suck up to department heads and senior managers" many a good staff member is restructed out if they disagree with the management.

Poor long term planning and building projects that no-one will use due to falling student numbers and low attendance.

Sickness levels are high due to work loads and a HR department that puts pressure on staff by enforcing the blame culture used to protect the senior management team from those that stand up to be counted.
Pros
Leave days
Cons
Everything else
Fun, work expierience
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cambridge11 August 2016
doing my work experience at CWA for dog grooming was good fun and helped me alot with my knowledge of the course aswell and what t would be like to have a job in that feild. i got on well with co workers and the bosses and it was a really nice environment to work in. the most ejoyable part of the job was getting to work with all the dogs and the hardest part was when i had to work with difficult dogs.
Pros
learning and gaining experience
Cons
difficult dogs
Too much to do, little respect, poorly organised, surveillance culture
Tutor (Former Employee) –  King's Lynn, ENG10 November 2015
I worked here for many years and what was originally a nice friendly community college has become a faceless corporate company with very little support and micro management of every element of your working day.
The administration involved is just not possible in the time frame given, you are expected to do extra working hours and open days for no additional pay. The number of different roles that you have to do in an average day are so taxing it eats into your personal life and there is a clear focus on retention, achievement scores and a lack of focus on education. I was permanently exhausted and had to work at home and weekends and nights to keep up.
Very poor, disorganised and self-serving management who gloss over concerns and are always scrutinising lessons and your teaching. Couple that with OFSTED and yearly observations of teaching it is a horrible environment with ridiculous expectations put on staff and surveillance over every aspect. Expect long hours and to be thrown into the job with very little support.
Pros
Co-workers help with the difficult expectations
Cons
Management, hours needed, uncertain job security, lack of support
A difficult and uncertain enviroment
Administrator (Current Employee) –  Wisbech, ENG12 June 2015
Further Education has changed so much in the last few years it is almost unrecognisable to when I first started 6 years ago. At Isle we have in the past had a 'family' environment, we all helped one another but over the last few years we have had so many changes and so many redundancies that all that is being lost. The people I work with are lovely and we get on so well, a real team, the management are 'micro' the worst form; no personal initiative here, if your a Robot the jobs is ace- I am not and neither are my colleagues. The hardest part of the job is the lack of communication; the most pleasurable has to be the students. They can misbehave at times but, they are fun and you can really connect with them.
On a positive, the opportunities for training are good and it's good to take the opportunities they do offer but unfortunately that has been cut because of a lack of funds.
Great work place, learn why having fun
student (Current Employee) –  kings lynn20 March 2015
Great work place, learn why having fun. All the tutor really know what they are doing and have great ways to help if you are struggling to understand something. would recommend to anyone.
Pros
great atmosphere
Cons
fridays
Extremely Demanding
Secondary School Teacher (Current Employee) –  King's Lynn, ENG2 January 2015
The salary is adjusted to account for the 13 weeks holiday but the workload is not. Academies and Schools are having their cake and eating it too. The work/life balance is way off and the job becomes less and less satisfying with every added meaningless task which requires a large time input.
Student (Current Employee) –  King's Lynn, ENG2 November 2014
I learn about health and social care and what working in the social industry is like.
Pros
Helps towards university
Cons
Long hour
college
student (Former Employee) –  wisbech27 February 2014
i was a student at college i enjoyed the college . it is a good place to learn many different trades.
Was a good place to work, not now.
Ex employee (Former Employee) –  Wisbech, ENG3 August 2013
Most of time, it was ok, but people got cliquey, it's was hard work trying to get everything done, even when you thought you had done a good job, nitpicking over your work. Would I work there again, not on your life.
Pros
Going home
Cons
If you can take the backstabbing, apply for positions
Due to restructure looking for work...
Functional Skills English Co-ordinator... (Current Employee) –  King's Lynn, ENG9 July 2013
Due to a restructure I may be made redundant as my current department will cease to exist. I am looking to take on an admin role and move away from teaching ideally.
Pros
co-workers and line manager
Cons
Long hours, long journeys to and from work, restructure and uncertainty over job
im a happy willing person
student (Former Employee) –  kings lynn18 January 2013
i will do anything at work when asked and i will use my own initiative
challenging but rewarding
Teaching Support Officer in Horticulture (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, Milton17 May 2012
The people I work with are all great people and really helpful and there are times when I wouldn't be able to mange without them.
The hardest part of the job is keeping motivation up when students are sharing their stresses and moods or either trying to get an early break.
Whilst working here I have learnt how to effectively share information with students and stafff whilst avoiding confusion at either end. I have also learnt management skills and how to prioritise jobs aiding me to get tasks completed with or without students.
The most enjoyable part of the job is when students say to me that they would rather work with me as they learn more practical tips that I have learnt through industry experience.
Pros
visiting places i wouldn't often go
Cons
mentally draining at times