Clarks Employee Reviews

Sort: Helpful | Rating | Date
Well paid and helpful
Sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Lakeside Shopping Centre17 September 2017
At Clarks, I learned how to fit children's shoes using the equipment. This could be challenging when trying to fit shoes on a naughty child. The training was good and I was paid for it. The managers could be a bit grumpy. It was extremely busy during the summer months. The pay was good though.
Enjoyable.
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Warrington16 September 2017
Good supportive colleagues, working to sales targets. Hours can be long with late nights and weekends. Friendly and good team to work with. A lot of focus on add on sales.
Busy, Enjoyable place to work with friendly staff.
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Solihull15 September 2017
A typical day at the company, for me during the busy "back to school" period, would include helping and guided customers by fitting shoes for children and young people. From this experience, I learnt the importance of communication skills with the customer and the whole team and also learnt how to manage my time during shifts in order to ensure I was being productive. Everyone in the company were very welcoming and helped me understand what the job role "trained fitter" entailed. The job was a very enjoyable experience and I really enjoyed my period of work for the company.
Pros
Good pay, breaks (dependant on length of shift).
Cons
During summer, shop floor becomes busy and messy.
brilliant and easy to work for
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Rotherham, South Yorkshire15 September 2017
i only worked here for a few weeks as i was on a placement but it was a really enjoyable experience the staff were easy to get along with any problems all you have to do is ask and they would help with any issues
Very busy during Christmas
Shop Floor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham13 September 2017
Clarks was my first paid job experience and taught me what it was like to work for a pay cheque. The hardest part I found about the job was fighting my natural un-salesperson personality: if someone could not find the pair of shoes they wanted, or that fit their needs or description, I would accept their decision and agree with their decision to leave, rather than offering alternatives which is what my manager and the shop philosophy pushed for. However, if I learnt anything there, it was patience with people. I was quick to master the till, stock system and search tablets but the variety of people I served meant I was always on my toes.
Christmas and New Years Day Sales will forever haunt me; there were SO many people! I now admire people who decide and persist with working in such a stressful environment
Pros
Free pair of shoes
Cons
Long hours, pressure to perform, working on Christmas Eve, Boxing Day and New Years
High service reatiler
Store Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Nottingham City Centre, Nottinghamshire13 September 2017
Clarks does have amazing customer service as a worker for the company you are made hold very high standards of customer service. As a supervisor of the store I would have to do lots of tasks from training new and old staff to handling the morning and opening and closing the store.
Nice Busy Summer
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Barnstaple, Devon11 September 2017
worked for the busy summer period. training was very good but never did get my certificate. it did get stressful towards the end but we worked together to help each other out. very good job.
Pros
free work shoes
Cons
small contracts
Okay
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Gateshead9 September 2017
Working at Clark's was great in terms of salary and hours. However, since I was temporary I only worked the summer. This was good but I was expected to fit and measure shoes without mistake- something I've never done before- after only knowing how to do it a few week. This was a lot of pressure.

I learnt how to fit and measure shoes but not how to actually get a multi sale (little to no instruction).

Some management were great, easy to talk to, you could go to them if you weren't sure about something etc. Others were not great. They looked down on you for asking questions (or at least seemed to).

People were friendly but the permanent staff weren't too kind to the temporary ones. I once even had several boxes of shoes knocked from my hands in the stockroom, something they seemed to think was a joke, something I seemed to think was unkind and unprofessional. Other staff however, couldn't have been kinder and if I were to go off my experience from them alone, it would make up for the rest, but that was not the case.

The hardest part of working here was the bit I mentioned above.

Most enjoyable part of the job was the salary.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Arrogant coworkers
Ana amazing place to work
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Beverley, East Riding of Yorkshire8 September 2017
I absolutely loved working at Clarks and learned a lot whilst working in one of their smaller stores.
The range of customer may be a challenge but there is nothing better than helping a customer find the perfect shoes for any occasion.
Busy
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Exeter8 September 2017
If you're going to work as a summer temp expect it to be BUSY. Shifts are short and go quick but it is non stop. However, the job pays well and you're never without something to do.
Pros
Free work shoes
Cons
Mostly temp contracts
Nice little shop and very friendly colleagues
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Stockton Heath, Cheshire7 September 2017
Lovely and very friendly little shop, enjoy working with all the other girls. I am the acting up manager on a Sunday with one of the young Saturday girls as my assistant. I am very flexible with changing shifts and working overtime, but unfortunately this isn't reflected in the head office management
Pros
Good discount
Cons
Not very flexible
Slow paced
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Elephant & Castle7 September 2017
Met loads of great team members who were enthusiastic about working there but the management team wasn't as great and you never really knew if you was coming or going while working there
Pros
nice customers
Cons
bad management
very fair and well organised
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Poole6 September 2017
Clarks believed that if you did the same job as someone else you should be paid the same. Love that! Good training and very well organised, could be stressful in back to school season.
productive
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol4 September 2017
My review with working in clarks, is that it is a nice, friendly place to work and keeps you on your feet. it is different to just clothes retail shops because you interact with every customer because they are usually coming in to buy something specific.
Good start up job
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wokingham, Berkshire4 September 2017
Really enjoyed my part time work here over the years. Worked with a really good team and taught me alot about customer relations and retail workplace. Developed a skillset I can use anywhere and confidence in ability.
Short staffed
Payroll Assistant (Former Employee) –  Somerset31 August 2017
I first was excited to learn and was enjoying being there then the training was lacsydaisy and constantly being interrupted this led to mistakes being made constant people leaving the department because of making mistakes or not enjoying the blame culture of the department I was finally let go because being short staffed there was no time for people to check my work hence an error made got brought up because my work was not being checked this is a disgusting way for a company to treat good hard working admin staff a new boss that came in really didn't know me properly what my capabilities are hence she just threw her authority around I would never recommend to work at Clarks or with buy their overpriced shoes
Cons
Short staffed
Amazing first place to work
Customer Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Basingstoke31 August 2017
I really enjoyed working at Clarks. For me, it was an excellent first job. The team are a lovely group of people to work with, the targets are reasonable, you are always getting rewarded and there is always the opportunity for progress in the future.
Productive, fun work place
Back to school customer assistant (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh29 August 2017
Worked at Clarks during the back to school period and absolutely loved my time there. Staff were friendly and extremely helpful. They provide incredible training for new starts on how to measure feet. Overall great place to work.
Pros
Fun environment
Cons
Temporary contracts
Fun place to work
Team leader (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London25 August 2017
Clarks is a really good company to work for, great for progression and direction from management. Could not recommend more. especially for temp work and seasonal staff.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Long days
Decent job, poor management
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Grantham, Lincolnshire22 August 2017
The job was ok, became repetitive at times. I was on a zero hour contract, and management seemed reluctant to give me over 6 hours per week. Left job due to this.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Clarks. Our community is ready to answer.