Chiltern Railways Employee Reviews

Educational
Work Experience Placement (Former Employee) –  London30 January 2017
I worked at Chiltern railways for 41 hours. In these 41 hours I was able to learn and spend time in each different aspect of the business.
Do not work here
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Marylebone Station15 January 2017
I worked for this company for around 10 years but left because of the change at the top.
Around 5 years ago there was an obvious change in the management style and this prevented you from working on your own initiative. The current leadership lead by fear and you dare not have an opinion because if you do they target you and make your life a misery. I loved working here in the beginning because you were encouraged to put ideas across that would not only benefit the company but staff and customers alike.
The customer service department in particular is lead by a team of managers that quite simply think it's good to lead by fear and definitely discourage new ideas . For my own sanity I had to get out because I wasn't allowed to express an opinion. It's such a shame because they do have a lot of lovely people that care with passion.
This company has changed immensely from the friendly customer driven one it used to be to one that cares about profit only and where the staff are now so unmotivated it has affected the service delivered to customers.
Pros
Free travel and good pension scheme
Cons
Long hours with bullying management tactics
Thick as s**t
Everything (Former Employee) –  London21 October 2016
The management are thick as s**t I worked with this company for over a year and got trained to do 5 different jobs. Worst company to work for and if you know more than the managers that is a very good thing the management have never worked in the railway but know how to tell you to do your job when they aren't trained to know how to do your job
Pros
Free travel
Cons
Long hours poor management
Work Experience Placement
Work Experience Placement (Former Employee) –  Birmingham26 June 2015
I thoroughly enjoyed my two week work experience placement at Chiltern Railways. I carried out a variety of tasks which gave me a really good taste of the railway industry. All the staff were extremely friendly to me and contributed to me having a great two weeks with Chiltern. I would thoroughly recommend working here!
Busy London Station
Duty Station Manager (Current Employee) –  London, ENG27 May 2015
Busy day, learned how to manage a team of people, work in a team of 5 Duty managers, I manage 15 people in my functional responsibility.
Passenger complaints and trying to resolve them.
Getting good feedback from passengers about the service they have received.
Pros
Good pension scheme, good pay
Cons
shift patterns
Takes over your life
REVENUE PROTECTION OFFICER (Former Employee) –  moor street12 February 2015
You can put in the hours but railway work takes over your life, mainly recruit internally and for progression you need to be related to senior managers.
Pros
working using your own initiative
Cons
long hours all weathers not much progression