Cheshire Constabulary Employee Reviews

Oppressive
Detention Custody Officer (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester7 August 2017
Working within Custody can be oppressive by nature. It is a secure facility, which means that you miss the entirety of a day, stuck between the 4 walls and surrounded by criminals.
challenging and rewarding
Police Constable (Former Employee) –  Warrington, Cheshire24 July 2017
its a very varied day, you could literally be doing anything. you'll deal with a lot of domestic incidents and they'll take up the majority of your time. Training needs to be better especially when it comes to using the systems. the best part of the job has to be getting a good result for a victim. You'll deal with a lot of mental health incidents too and you'll see how stretched the NHS is.
Pros
good team
Great people
Exhibition & Event Coordinator (Maternity Cover) (Current Employee) –  Winsford26 June 2017
Great people, great place to work.
Free car parking and easy to get to.
Staff restaurant is expensive but the food is good and the staff are friendly.
No longer a job for life for Police Staff
Quality Manager (Current Employee) –  Winsford, Cheshire20 June 2017
Due to years of austerity the Police Staff support role is no longer secure with Police Staff being made redundant or being re-deployed. Despite being given permanent contracts most Police Staff feel they are only on fixed term contracts. Sadly too most of the roles are based at HQ Winsford making it difficult if you live in Warrington or Halton.
Pros
Agile Working. Flexible Working. Shift Allowances
Cons
Most roles are at HQ Winsford. Austerity Measures.
Every day is different!!
Police Community Support Officer (Current Employee) –  Cheshire20 February 2017
Working for the police service is different everyday no two days are the same.
You will work on a shift pattern basis working days and late shifts.
Some days you will be working as a team and other days you will work on your own.
It can be sad, it can be happy and lots of fun.
Pros
Good wages
Cons
Can be long hours
Challenging and rewarding work environment
Detective Sergeant (Former Employee) –  Chester12 February 2017
An excellent company to work for. Excellent salary and benefits and an employer who cares about the welfare of its staff.

The shift work can be challenging and anti social, but the work satisfaction can be second to non.

this job is not for the fainthearted and requires a great deal of patience and understanding of the behaviour of others.
Pros
good pension
Cons
long hours difficult work
an excellent Career
Police officer (Former Employee) –  Chester24 April 2016
Going to work each day and never knowing what was about to happen was brilliant.
Working with and knowing you could rely on your fellow officers 100%
I have dealt with a hippy convoy who blocked the M6 motorway and Sheep who decided to walk the motorway at night on an unlit stretch.
There was no typical day until I took the role of School Liaison and then my days were spent in school talking about Internet safety, Drugs misuse and antisocial behaviour.
The job was hard at times and entailed long hours.
Pros
Great colleagues and team work
Cons
anti social working hours working 3 weekends out of 4 and having leave cancelled at short notice .
Interesting work life
HR Assistant/Recruitment/L&D (Current Employee) –  Winsford26 October 2015
My normal day would be checking and prioritising emails, selecting service requests and sending them to the relevant work area, chasing references and dealing with enquires via telephone calls.

l have learnt the process of recruitment and learning and development.

The management are really supportive and approachable and listen and take on board ideas and problems.

My co workers are a really good team wih a variety of experience's and also fun to work with.

The hardest part of the job is trying to chase the references.

The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the person you have assisted in applying for the job receive their start date.
Pros
great canteen
Cons
no cons
Fewer resources than ever
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  cheshire15 July 2015
Thanks to Thersea May moral is at its lowest ever. Police stations left unmanned a MAXIMUM of a 1% pay rise for the next three years people are leaving by the drones, even joining the armed forces which in my 24 years service is unheard of.
Pros
Working with great people
Cons
long hours, no paid overtime, slowly becoming poorly paid. Forever getting slagged of in the news.
Rewarding job
Retired Police Officer (Former Employee) –  ENG13 January 2015
Working as a community police officer enabled me to learn valuable skills in working with young people. When I was seconded to a multi agency team I had to manage my own work load with minimal supervision and work with staff from other agencies. Every new case was different and challenged me to produce a positive outcome for all involved, offender and victim. The reward of the job is later on when you here that the young person has achieved a positive outcome , ie full time employment, when at the time of working with them this would not have seemed possible. The hardest part of this work was the young person being negative all the time but continuing to work with them because I believe every can achieve a positive outcome
Pros
New challanges every day
First Point of Contact for people who are in desperate need of help.
Communications Operator (Current Employee) –  Winsford, Cheshire13 November 2014
A typical day at work involves myself being a capable and proven Police Communications Operator who is the first point of contact for people who are in desperate need of help.

I have learnt numerous skills from working in this environment including, leadership skills, ability to mentor, that i am able to make key decisions in a stressful environment and i have a strong desire to help others.

My colleagues at work are incredible. The environment i work in is highly stressful but we keep each other going through tough times.

The hardest part of my job is having to deal with conflicting situations effectively.

The most enjoyable part of my job is answering customer front line calls and making them feel comfortable when they are in need of help.
Pros
colleagues, customer service, job security
Cons
long hours, shifts, pay
Good people at times
Legal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winsford, ENG2 November 2014
I worked with some good people who made me want to return to working with the police services.

The hours were good and some management was fine but others not.

Learned how much of the force works, even in the limited time I was there. Found out the best ways to get things done and who to ask for help or guidance when appropriate.
Pros
Not far from home. Had a cheap restaurant.
Cons
Poor management in the legal department.
Productive and very professional workplace.
Police Officer (Current Employee) –  Cheshire29 August 2014
I am employed as a dog handler within the Force and a typical day for me would be to patrol the county of Cheshire in a proactive roll responding to incidents that required the services of a Police Dog.

The job is physically demanding but very rewarding should the dog have a successful arrest.
No two days are the same.
Police Community Support Officer (Current Employee) –  Cheshire12 May 2014
A typical day would involve patrolling the community and reassurance to victims of crime and anti-social behaviour.
During my time a PCSO I have learned to keep an open mind as no two problems are the same.
In the main I have had very supportive managers/supervisors however due to the nature of the police the supervisor regularly changes.
I have been very fortunate to have been a PCSO since 2003, this was when PCSO's were first introduced. At first there was some co-worker who were sceptical in regards to what benefit PCSO's could bring to the police service, however I am glad to say that this has changed over the past 11 years and PCSO's are an integral part of delivering neighbourhood policing.
I would say the hardest part of the job is seeing the effects of how a crime can devastate a person.
The most enjoyable part is resolving an issue that has blighted a community, also being part of a team that brings criminals to justice.
Exciting and rewarding role
Special Constable (Current Employee) –  Macclesfield11 February 2014
As a Special Constable I encounter everything that a Regular Constable encounters on a daily duty. The role includes Neighbourhood Policing, policing of special events, emergency response, public engagement and community projects. I enjoy meeting people and making a difference to them on what can sometimes be the worst day of their life. It is a very rewarding role in which I hope to progress. This is a voluntary role in which I am required to volunteer for a minimum of 4 hours per week. This is something I do in my own free time and would not conflict in my normal working life.
Professional
Police Sergeant (Former Employee) –  Warrington, ENG25 January 2014
Wokring shifts in a variety of roles, Patrol, Custody and Control Room. Cheshire Police are good employers, encouraging progression and supportive of their officers
Pros
Career progression
Cons
Shift work
Fullfilling
Forensic Photographer (Current Employee) –  Winsford, ENG17 January 2014
Everyday is different, I din't know what I might be doing when I walked into work in the morning. Dealing with the public is the most rewarding element to the job as I really felt I was helping them help the Police with their enquirers. The range of experiences and people will only help me with my future development.
Pros
Respected
Cons
Distance
fun workplace
Administration Support (Former Employee) –  Runcorn, ENG4 October 2013
to provide admin support

i also had to assist the finance officer which i had learnt how the constabulary operated as a business.
Pros
excellent collegues
Cons
no chance of promotion as it was only a placement
A challenging and rewarding role
Special Constable (Former Employee) –  Chester5 June 2012
• Supporting community safety initiatives and also working as part of a team and independently to providing support to individuals in times of emergency.
• I have taken part in extensive training including; legislation, uniformed defence, first aid and manual handling this highlights my commitment to lifelong learning, ensuring I always work to the highest standard and my commitment to personal development.
• Communication; working in direct contact with the public I have become very competent in both verbal and written communication whether this be written reports or presenting evidence in court.
• Through working closely with the local community on my beat, I have been able to assist other officers in various operations targeting a range of issues such as anti-social behaviour.
• Personal responsibility; Maintaining professional and personal conduct both on and off duty is a personal quality I have demonstrated throughout my time as a Special
• I believe that a good sense of humour and patience have assisted me in enjoying my role to the full.