Cancer Research UK Employee Reviews

fun but caring work place
Volunteer Worker (Current Employee) –  Chesham, Buckinghamshire20 September 2017
i joined cancer research as a way to get back into work by starting with volunteering and im so glad i did.
i have learnt so much i.e how to deal with customers how to be sympthetic.
the best part of the day is when you get loads of donation all in the space off an hour and you feel like its never gonna get sorted but you make a plan and work through it and when the end is near you can smile and say that after a busy morning or afternoon you have done it
Enjoyable Workplace
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sudbury, Suffolk19 September 2017
The people were kind and helpful, it was a relaxed atmosphere but demanding. The management was very understanding. It was a volunteer role so there was no salary.
Fun to work with
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Swansea, Swansea19 September 2017
All the people were fun to work for and with. the work environment was upbeat and always lively.everyone was friendly and made the shop welcoming. The shop was always kept up to high standards.
volunteer
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Marple15 September 2017
i worked their during the summer between sixth form and going to university. it was a good friendly environment to work and my hours were flexible and the staff were friendly.
Fun, Hardworking environment
Shop Assistant (Volunteer) (Former Employee) –  Durham11 September 2017
The environment was always friendly and hardworking. Full of those dedicated to volunteering and helping out the shop. Caring and helpful team of staff to assist with any problems or queries.
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Cumbria11 September 2017
I worked the till handling money, helping customers, stock checks, rearranging shelves, tiding clothes rails and carrying donations into the back room.
Pros
Short hours
Cons
N/a
Eye opening
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bexleyheath, Greater London5 September 2017
I found that working/volunteering for this company really opened my eyes to different charities and I found that each person who worked their were extremely likeable as well as passionate for helping charities.
Pros
We were allowed to take one thing home
Work Exp at Cancer Research
Clothing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bridgnorth, Shropshire5 September 2017
Ever since my mother helped me get this Volunteer job, I have been assigned to steam clothes for two hours from 10-12am every Wednesday. The staff are really friendly and the enviroment is good, and as I have been doing this job for almost half a decade, I have devolped a talent for steaming clothes extremely quickly. Although it's only a Volunteer job with no pay, It's still a really comforting enviroment to work in.
useful work experience
Volunteer shop assistant (Former Employee) –  Andover, Hampshire3 September 2017
I used this job to complete my voluntary for my Duke of Edinburgh, but t has proved useful as I can now list it as work experience on my CV. It has taught me useful skills that I can now apply to any job I go into.
Fun and enjoyable
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Northallerton, North Yorkshire3 September 2017
A typical day at work would require flexible management around the shop. The hardest part of the job is sorting valuable clothing. Each worker is given flexible lunch hours and given a stable rota during the week. Enjoyably, presenting the shop was the main focus.
Pros
Free Lunches. A lot of health and safety in the sorting rooms.
Cons
Small work spaces.
productive and fun workplace
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire2 September 2017
I've work there on defferent days,I've learned how I do servis to costumer, learn about till,management in this store is perfect and have good manager.the hardest part for all stuf is long time in the work and manage all of the donation on the other hand most enjoysble part of the job is best relationship with colleagues and working for charity that this reason make us happy
Pros
connect whith people
Fun and productive
Voluntary Worker (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London2 September 2017
Great fun and was able to really get involved . Even though I volunteered I was still treated the same as everyone else. Would definitely do it againn.
Pros
Gain skills
Library Assistant (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow31 August 2017
It was easy to work there. I've learned listing and talking skills. The workplace was crowded, the hard part was books shelf but enjoy putting book on
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
9:00 till 4:50
Fun place to work
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Dudley30 August 2017
This was good experience for me as it was very rewarding and it enabled me to know what it is like to be able to work in retail and to be able to get to know some of the staff and to know their stories.
Pros
nice staff
Cons
nothing
Fun and flexible work place
Retail Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands30 August 2017
I like working at Cancer Research because my coworkers are extremely friendly and helpful. Also the management can't be faulted. Their flexibility with my shifts is a benefit of working for Cancer Research.
Pros
Flexible shifts
Good experience.
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Winchester, Hampshire29 August 2017
This is a voluntary post, so the review is largely irrelevant.

However, I have gained experience of dealing with customers and this is the most enjoyable aspect of the work.
Pros
Meeting people and selling goods
Cons
No pay!
I was very well trained for the till
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Looe, Cornwall28 August 2017
I am so happy of the way they all treated me in the shop and I was very hard working and I had lunch break and I always arrived back on time it was the best experience for me to learn new things
Pros
Had my own lunch
Cons
To short of hours
Volunteer Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Andover27 August 2017
Good place to work as a D of E volunteer, friendly environment. Other volunteers were happy to help out as a new member of the team, and you are kept busy.
My Summer
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Widnes, Cheshire24 August 2017
This year i discovered my grandma had been diagnosed with stage 3b lung cancer. This news shook me to my core and the only thing i could do was to help in any way i could and i decided this would be to help at the front of the fundraising and i thought the best way to do this was to work in my local shop. my local shop in Widnes was full of amazing characters and i gained great experience. having to leave the shop to go back to uni is heartbreaking. i have loved working in the shop and would recommend it to anyone.
Interesting workplace with thriving personalities.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, Devon20 August 2017
I'll admit, as a 15 year old at the time, I was not expecting much from working in a charity shop. However it turned out to be one of the most colourful, uplifting places you could wish to work. You were always greeted with politeness and a smile from customers, and all customers came with a bubbly personality and a story to tell.
Working with management was lovely as they were all such kind people, who showed me the ropes and trusted me and believed in me to work independently.