Cancer Research UK Employee Reviews

A motivating, rewarding and enjoyable role
Executive PA, Executive Director of Fundraising (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London19 January 2018
My 8 years with the charity was very enjoyable, channelling and rewarding, allowing me to learn, grown and expand my career within a very worthy company
My role was predominantly working for the Executive Director with additional responsibilities for his team and Directorate events.
The role demanded professionalism, accuracy and discretion at all times.
Overtime was not actively encouraged but appreciated when deemed necessary
Pros
Participating and contributing to a great cause
Cons
Commuting
Up for it
Volunteer Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rotherham, South Yorkshire19 January 2018
I really enjoyed helping out at a charity shop cause it was fun and very challenging
I was outside doing raffles to upstairs steaming clothes and sorting customers out on shop floor
I enjoyed working here
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Taunton, Somerset18 January 2018
I loved meeting new people, being supportive and supported. I started as a volunteer and then trained in retail and customer services. I then accepted the offer of Assistant Manager. The then manager at Clevedon was using me to do her work and taking credit. She was rude to volunteers and disrespectful of their feelings and the time they put in.
Pros
Helping people meeting people worki g with volu teers
Cons
Shop manager was rude to other volunteers and when I challenged her, she gave me extra work whilst telli g the area manager I was lazy
On your feet but fun
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Loughborough17 January 2018
This is probably one of the best places to work. VERY friendly staff, and calm environment. I myself suffer with anxiety, so there wasn't too much pressure to be quick. You are on your feet a lot, but this job was really fun. I was doing stock taking, working behind the till and serving customers.
Pros
Discount, helping ill people
productive work place
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London17 January 2018
I gained a lot of experience from volunteering with Cancer research.Good management within the business. The job required you to work at tills and interact with customers whilst hanging and storing clothes
Pros
gained experience
Friendly Workplace
Charity Shop Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Banstead15 January 2018
relaxed atmosphere and friendly colleagues made my time at Cancer Research enjoyable. The busy times of day could become challenging but overall the support from colleagues mitigated the stress.
Friendly enviroment
Volunteering at Cancer Research UK in Clarkston (Former Employee) –  Clarkston15 January 2018
All the people that volunteer here are very polite people and are always keen on helping everyone that comes into the shop which is lovely. the jobs you would be doing are serving customer's and setting up the shop.
work experience
work experience (Former Employee) –  Hitchin, Hertfordshire15 January 2018
I wasn't there long enough to form an opinion for a review of this company - this position was work experience only whilst I was studying for my GCSE's.
Fun
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dunfermline, Fife14 January 2018
Working with the community and learning new things how to work a till keeping Rhe shop floor clean and tidy. Lovely staff. It was amazing to work a there
Fun Workplace
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Wrexham13 January 2018
When working at Cancer Research UK, you were Volunteering.
No expectations and no regret.
I had the most wonderful boss, she could relate to almost every problem.
at the age of 16 there were allot of self inflicted issues that made it difficult to do my job.
Pros
Emotionally Rewarding
Cons
Long Hours and No salary
Productive exciting workplace
Events Assistant (Current Employee) –  Wolverhampton, West Midlands12 January 2018
Energetic and enthusiastic people and great to work with.
Working outdoors hands on experience which is great. The company look after their staff and volunteers.
Enjoyed working and helping everyone in the shop.
Sales Assistant (Voluntary) (Former Employee) –  Buxton11 January 2018
A great day at work serving customers, loved helping anyone who needed my assistance, was taught how to display windows. Management very nice to work with, was allowed to work in the shop alone and go to the bank. Very nice clean place to work. Nothing hard to do very nice job to do.
Pros
Cons
Would of done more hours if it was a paid job.
Fun
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sydenham10 January 2018
I enjoyed working at cancer research because I felt good doing a positive thing getting out of my bed and willing to help others I do have to say that due to the fact that I'm only 17 it's hard for me to get and financial support so for me to get there was really hard because of it was a voluntary work
Pros
Helping others
Cons
No payment, hard for me to get in
it was a fun work place full of laughter and joy
Volunteer Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wolverhampton10 January 2018
I liked volunteering at cancer research i learnt a lot of new skills in which i did not know before such as how to work a till , do the stock take and also how to do the cash lift at the end of the day. i can make good use of the skills in which i have gained from volunteering.The team at cancer research was really friendly and also very welcoming they were fun to get a long with and great to have a laugh with . I really enjoyed it there and felt like part of the team the.The workplace was really fun.
Pros
discounts
Cons
some extra days and some long hours
Productive and fun
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Slough, Berkshire5 January 2018
My experience with Cancer Research UK was very interesting, as I had both bad and good experiences. The typical day at work was rather fun because we got to communicate and interact with customers, while doing the positions that we felt needed experience. I learnt to work on the till and good management, since I had to place items according to the isle. The hardest part of the job was placing the price tags, that is because if we did one mistake we had to remove and add the tags from the clothes.
Pros
3 breaks which we could've changed the time.
Not Recommended
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Banchory3 January 2018
Awful salary for the responsibility of the position ( Assistant Manager on minimum wage). No overtime payment, no employee benefits, i worked for the company nearly three years and had four area managers. Hardly ever got to have a break including a lunch break your expected to work 9am to 5.30pm without a break. Expected to know how to run a retail shop without any training. Company doesn't follow health and safety or lone working laws. The only good part of the job was helping a good cause.
Pros
Good Cause
Productive and fun workplace
Volunteer Retail Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ashford28 December 2017
A typical day at work is being in a productive and fun workplace. I have learnt how to use the till, how to print out gift aid stickers for the gift aid donations that come in the shop, how to put out donations on the shop floor. The management are very friendly to work with and communicate well with. The workplace culture is fun and cheerful. The most enjoyable part of the job is to volunteer in an amazing charity and to work with a lovely bunch of volunteers.
Fun workplace
UK - Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands27 December 2017
Lovely and friendly staff, a great place to start if you need work experience and a strive to help the community. I learned many skills that can be applied to retail shops
Pros
Free tea and biscuits
Loved my time here
Event Assistant (Former Employee) –  Remote20 December 2017
It was only a part time position but the organisation seems to care for and trust it's staff. Staff work from home and have great flexibility. I would work for the organisation again if I could!
fun work place
Volunteering (Former Employee) –  Burgess Hill18 December 2017
i learnt a lot on the job: team work, restocking shelves, being able to talk to customers and work in a busy environment with the right attitude. I also believe i am quite organised and like to keep things in order.