Bupa Employee Reviews

Typical British workplace
Sales Executive/Account Manager (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London22 November 2017
There is a factory mindset in place; punch in and punch out. Little emphasis on staff welfare or advancement, bottom line very much the focus . Blame culture in place. Face has to fit, if not, you are in danger of being removed.
Pros
Large company
Cons
Blame culture
Felt like I was being brain-washed
Member Service Adviser (Former Employee) –  Salford Quays19 November 2017
I lasted all of three months. Maybe I wasn't cut-out for the culture I found myself in and was too customer-orientated. Despite constantly receiving good reviews during training and scoring high, there was always a reason given to prevent me from moving forward out of the training academy. Was this because I am an older person and didn`t fit in with the young, vibrant workforce? I`ll never know. Everything is time-orientated to the minute - toilet breaks, lunch, blowing your nose etc. I was told off for being on the phone too long with a client who had discovered she had cancer. I went for a break and was stopped by a manager who wanted to discuss something (work issue); I didn`t manage to get my break and returned to my desk 2mins late and was told to take only 8mins for my next break instead of 10 to make it up! I felt like a hamster in a cage on a spinning wheel and unable to jump off...
Pros
Great subs. staff restaurant. Free parking. Beautiful location.
Cons
The culture and regime.
interesting and understanding
hca/activity co-ordinater (Former Employee) –  Kent17 November 2017
lot of running around hours are very long especially when short staff enjoyed speaking to residents and caring. hardest was when residents passed away. lots of paper work.
Pros
only on long day
Cons
very long hours
Rewarding job
Kitchen Assistant (Current Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow16 November 2017
Preparing meals for residents throughout the day to provide a nutritious meal everyday. Most enjoyable part of the job is the satisfaction of a resident who has enjoyed their meal.
Pros
free lunch
Great team
Care Assistant for the Elderly (Former Employee) –  Pontefract, West Yorkshire16 November 2017
Great care given throughout I worked with the elderly and it was very nice.because I was on agency I didn't always get shifts I needed but they tried to accommodate where possible
Pros
Cons
Low wage
It was good, but hard work mentally and physically
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leicester, Leicestershire15 November 2017
First week of my training, experienced staff were very quick on giving out orders, using me as a spare part. And then there were times when I had to feed 4 people at once and other staff were moaning because I was not quick enough while they were just sitting around watching. Most of them often say in the lounge and watch me until I made a mistake and shout at me in front of everyone.

However, other staff members were more accommodating and accepting of me because I was very new to the caring role and trained me on manual handling etc.

Shifts aren’t too bad, residents are a mixed bunch depending how they were feeling I guess.

It’s a tough job and everyday was different. I enjoyed the clinical side of it all. If you do not enjoy dealing with poo etc then it’s a no go. Requires a strong stomach as well as being thick skinned to take on the abuse of other staff members and residents.
Pros
Nice uniform, nice varied shifts.
Cons
Stinks, lack of decent equipment
Long days worth nothing in the end!
Healthcare Consultant (Former Employee) –  Staines14 November 2017
Management is terrible, they want to hear your feedback and do nothing with it. I know it is an office but the talking behind backs in horrid, can make you feel extremely uncomfortable at times. They expect you to work 8-8 to hit a target that is worth nothing in the end because if the quality team aren't your friends one month you're over. Shifts are alright if you're okay with working random shifts between 8-8 and the 1 Saturday in 4. Hard to swap shifts and book holiday if too many people are already on holiday. Hardest part is long phone calls with time wasting customers. Salary was different for different groups of new starters, basic salary isn't great for the effort you put in.
Pros
Good Benefits!
Cons
Long Hours, Management
fun fast pace workplace
Care Assistant for the Elderly (Former Employee) –  Bristol14 November 2017
the management was not the best. the residents needs wasn't always met. the most challenging part of the job was using the equipment as wasn't always trained correctly. the down side to this job was the hours and there was never enough staff or pads for all the residents
A fun and friendly workplace
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands12 November 2017
You learn to be more friendly in this environment and open to communicate with the care workers and old people. You also take part in activities with them which is quite fun and good for the community
Pros
Free Breakfast
Excellent place to work
Member Services Advisor (Former Employee) –  Staines-upon-Thames, Surrey8 November 2017
Professional and fun environment to work with. Aids development as much as possible. Lots of great benefits. Depending on the department you work for, if it’s the contact centre there are many who wish to develop with few places to fill but generally still a great scope to develop.
Ice place to work
Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bridport, Dorset7 November 2017
Under staffed long hours residents very nice management easy to talk to nice place to work staff vert friend got to do my nvq even though the shift were long the time went very qnickly
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
12 hour shift
Staff lovely but company don't appreciate the good staff they have.
Health Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Luton6 November 2017
Don't care about your home life just how many days and long hours they can get you to work then moan when your burnt out and off sick.

Best part is helping residents with there day to today care.

Not being able to have the time to sit and chat to residents.

Always being short staffed
Pros
Free Lunch on long day.
Cons
Not being appreciated for all the the work you do and pressure put on you.
Difficult environment to work in
Auxiliary Nurse (Former Employee) –  Glasgow3 November 2017
Very long, hard working day. Constantly on your feet until your break time. If you did not smoke you had a rougher ride. Did not learn very much. Did not meet any Management. Just got on with your work. Fitting in due to being an agency worker. Making old people smile
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Not good hourly rate
Very bad
Hca (Current Employee) –  Dudley31 October 2017
Very disgusting place to work atrocious management no respect for anyone ovoer worked WAY under paid, all they want is paper work done. Management is vile not caring at all
Would not recommend at all everrr
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Everything else
Lots of travel
Home Healthcare Sister (Former Employee) –  Wiltshire31 October 2017
Whilst I worked for the Home Healthcare department of Bupa I found the hardest part of the job was the traveling as I was required to travel to different counties regularly. But the clients I worked with made it worth it.
Not enough time to spend with residents
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ashford, Kent29 October 2017
I didn't enjoy working at bupa I thought it was under staffed and we couldn't give the residents the time and attention they needed, the residents were always clean and well looked after but that ment extra pressure on the health care assistants I enjoyed the working with staff
Okay
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Derby, Derbyshire28 October 2017
It was alright. Work life balance okay. Management not very supportive of the team members. Very little time to spend time with residents as a lot is expected of very little staff on duty!
Overview
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Camberley, Surrey28 October 2017
A typical day at work included assisting 25 residents' per floor with their daily needs. Serving and assisting residents' at meal times, as well as washing and dressing them throughout the day,

I learnt more about mental health issues and disabilities whilst working at Bupa and developed more compassion for others.
The most enjoyable part of the job was developing strong relationships both within your team and with the residents' as well as their families.

In addition, the management were understanding and very friendly as well as flexible. However, the hardest part of the job were the long hours as well as a very professional workplace culture where you can't talk about anything outside of work.
Pros
free lunches
Work Placement from a Students Perspective
Work Experience Student (Current Employee) –  Milton Keynes24 October 2017
With this work placement, you will be helping vulnerable elderly people helping staff make sure that their needs are all being met. You will also be able to form professional relationships and will be given the opportunity to ask what their job roles are like and what is required of you if you have their job.

Every day is very different as it depends on activities and whom you are helping.
counter productive and demoralising
IT Specialist (Former Employee) –  Staines-upon-Thames22 October 2017
Only can only think of words to describe the company as a whole: Frustrating, demoralising, lack of investment, which speaks volumes really. I really can't think of anything more to say.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bupa. Our community is ready to answer.