Booths Employee Reviews

A great place to work
Deli Assistant (Former Employee) –  Longton, Lancashire3 September 2017
I enjoyed working at booths as it offered contracted hours and also the possibility of over time. The people i worked with really made the job as I got along very well with the whole team. the management was great.
Rubbish
Kitchen Assistant (Current Employee) –  Preston2 September 2017
Worked there for 5 years at first it was good then they changed the managment, big mistake bad hours poor pay did not get paid for hours worked would not recommend at all
Pros
Cons
Did not get paid for any over time
factory and driving work
Driver/Labourer (Former Employee) –  Bispham, Lancashire28 August 2017
this palce is ok and has some really nice people who work there but wages are not great and its the usual factory work over and over and over again, if you like that then its ok to work here.
Pros
good hours
Cons
monnotanous work
OK for someone who likes to work alone/take initiative
General Assistant (Current Employee) –  Garstang, Lancashire19 July 2017
Good job for a part time worker in higher education. Job consists of preparing food, cleaning, and general customer service. Management has alot of turnover so you may never know who is directly above you. Hardest part of the Job is living with the Incompetent management as you will not find anyone to help you after 4pm. Most enjoyable part of the job is the friendly counter staff.
Pros
No supervision/ use your own initiative
Cons
Bad management and constant staff turnover
Unprofessional and anything goes!
Checkouts Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chorley North West, Lancashire27 June 2017
I would not recommend Booths an an employer. I was ill last year and awaiting an operation and my confidential details regarding my illness were told to all the staff and they made me work harder than ever when I wasn't fit to work. I found the supervisors very unprofessional and not lenient with me at all.
Satisfactory as a voluntary placement
Retail/Warehouse Assistant (Former Employee) –  Barrowford, UK26 May 2017
I have worked in retail as a volunteer for a number of charity organisations and I am highly experienced in all aspects of retail. I enjoyed the four week placement at Booths because it was different to working as a volunteer. I helped customers and dealt with any problems as well as pricing, tagging and working in despatch. In my other voluntary placements I have got to know my regular customers so I particularly enjoyed meeting new ones and using my customer service skills. I would say that this was the hardest part of the job because it was a different environment. Retail is my passion and I am looking forward to making it my new career.

A typical day at work started with a pep talk with the team regarding the presentation of the shop and stock. Jobs were allocated on a rota system so that we all got to do everything needed. We had to use our own initiative when there were spills or breakages to make sure it was safe. Other tasks included date checking and checking for any damage to the products, replenishing and rotating stock. I learned about customer relations and the relationships with other staff and management on a professional level. I was used to working with non-perishable goods and I learned how time consuming and important it is to make sure that perishable goods meet all the legal requirements.
Pros
The experience
Cons
No job prospects
Productive and fun
General Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hale Barns14 April 2017
It was a good place to work because of the other colleagues, however I often became quite exasperated with pushy customers. Most of the managers were ok, however some of the supervisors would ask too much and annoy the general assistants.
Friendly enough workplace but ultimately undervalued and little encouragement for progression
Shop Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chorley, Lancashire30 March 2017
The enjoyment of the job has simply all depended on the management in place at the time. As it stands the current management at my store are all hardworking and offer encouragement when they can but the constant changes from store to store means that there is a change at least every few months and I have experienced certain higher personnel that have failed to treat staff with the respect that their efforts deserve. Good job if you enjoy interacting with people on a day to day basis but I feel that the perks of the job end there. Possibly the only supermarket to only offer minimum wage to staff yet there is a demand for the very best service. Also a real lack of opportunities in terms of career advancement within the company. Certainly such opportunities are not encouraged on staff and training for new staff is poor.
Pros
Good for interacting with customers, 20% discount for employees
Cons
Underpaid, lack of advancement opportunities, poor training for new staff
Productive and fun work place.
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Knutsford, Cheshire13 March 2017
A typical day at work required going in and setting all the required essentials for that day out. It was then to make sure all the hot food would be ready and the cheese counter was set up as it should be. During my time here i learnt a lot about cheeses and different cuts of meat and fish. The management would always be somewhere near by if needed. The people were very kind and a fun place to work. The hardest part of the job was boxing day when it was very busy and trying to remember the different things in a short time although it was also very enjoyable as it was a nice challenge to set myself and rewarding when i realized i was learning new skills.
Pros
Very nice working environment.
Cons
No free lunches.
Great work place
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, Lancashire10 February 2017
Great to work for even though it was only for a short while. Great staff and great company to work for. Working at Booths was nothing new to as I've worked for similar company before.
Pros
Great staff
fun
General Assistant (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Preston, Lancashire10 January 2017
Good nice environment to work in and. Most enjoyable part of the job is meeting new people at work . Management is good at booths as stuff gets checked regularly
Pros
Easy
Cons
Boring
Fun workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Milnthorpe8 November 2016
I got to learn more about working in a supermarket and got the chance to see a shop from an employees view and would recommend the job to others. It was always busy in my shifts and people were polite and i learnt to deal with questions from them. The hardest part was using new equipment that I had never used before and that was hard trying navigate around with them. I got on well with my co-workers and I learned to be more sociable in a workplace.
Pros
Good atmosphere
Cons
Short shifts
Great teammates management not good
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tea shop ulverston27 October 2016
Worked there 15years until I was let go.no support from the management. Would not recommend this company to work for. No job satisfaction. Great Co workers
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
No support from management
Nice and friendly coworkers
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Ripon20 October 2016
Workers were always friendly, it was a very warning environment and never a dull moment! Managers were always happy to help and more often than not went above and beyond to make you feel welcome and settled
Pros
Good wages
Cons
Long late hours at times
Honest and fun workplace
Kitchen porter (Former Employee) –  St. Anne's14 October 2016
Working within a kitchen environment learning new skills and working alongside the chef's at the busiest of times was a challenging and uplifting experience as I was learning new skills all of the time. Working within a supermarket environment meeting new members of departments and learning what they do within their jobs was a great experience as well.
Pros
Good workers
Awful place to work.
Cafe (Former Employee) –  Penrith12 October 2016
Started working at Booths earlier last year, started off okay until all the management was changed and it felt un organised and was under staffed on the majority of shifts. Which left customers very unhappy due to long queues and rushed food.
Pros
20% discount
Cons
Understaffed, not organised on many occasions, no social life!
Don't even bother
General Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ripon5 September 2016
Absolutely appalling company to work for, I worked for Booths for over two years in the Ripon store. In the beginning, everything was fine and dandy, until, the management change that is.

In late 2015 Booths decided to remove the middle management positions from all of its stores, making over 250 employees redundant within the company.

Since then general assistant staff members were expected to pick up the slack from the management rolls, this included and not restricted to admin duties, and ordering without extra pay for any of these duties of course.

The company doesn't care for its staff members, they would rather side over the customer than an employee. On numerous occasions, I was sworn at by customers for faults which were out of my control.

Each time the Manager would side with the customer, and apologise on my behalf for things which I didn't even do. They'd rather, please some upper-class pompous rude moron with free products than admit they were at fault.

After I left the comapny, it took almost 2 months to fully get the pay I was owed. The so called "Manager" of the store only put through 8 hours of pay to Payroll, when In fact, I worked 68 hours for the whole month.

It was only after several emails to Payroll, store managers and finally the CEO I was paid the money owed. This was after I threatened to take the company to court for underpaying me that is.

Don't even think about being sick either! You're treated like you've been
lying to get off work to go partying or start a holiday early in my case.

Long hours filling positions for staff
  more... members who rapidly leave the company and short brakes results in unhappy overworked staff.

This, of course, will eventually lead to sickness, and in many cases staff members being signed off with stress.

Working there was definitely a life changing experience in the fact it gave me the knowledge of knowing I'll never work in an environment like it again.

To conclude, I would look for a company which treats its staff with respect and dignity than work for Booths.
Cons
Long hours, penalties for being sick and treated like rubbish.
A big joke
Driver (Former Employee) –  Preston18 August 2016
Company top heavy, don't have a clue what to do or how to run a company, management make the employees look really 'good'!!!!!! Would I work for them again, NO!!!! wages are very low treated with no respect by management, togetherness,! EH! Means it's them and us, I worked for the company for 3years and I was glad when I went out the gate for the last time, believe all the rumours about booths the management have killed what booths used to stand for.
Pros
Made some good friends
Cons
pleasant working conditions and friendly colleagues
Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Milnthorpe6 August 2016
Booths require hard work from their employees and are keen to provide customers with a pleasant experience when they shop at any Booths store. Currently there are many internal changes taking place but overall it is a good place to work in today's difficult climate.
Pros
20% discount for staff
Cons
varied hours - some unsocial
productive and fun place
Order Picker (Current Employee) –  Preston7 June 2016
Co-workers are amaizing everyone is nice,
managment are bad,dont care about workers,what they care is only numbers in computer.hate late shift and 10 hours shift.