Booths Employee Reviews

Very busy job with many benefits.
General Shop Floor Assistant (Current Employee) –  England7 November 2017
On a typical day at Booths I would usually be putting out stock from the delivery. We typically get around 15 cages of delivery a day which would take around 7 hours to put out with the average of 3 people working on it. If I am working a morning shift, I will be putting out fresh stock which is a lot easier than ambient stock because there isn't as much of it. Besides putting out stock, I will either be helping out on till, taking off due dates out of the fridges, or reducing stock that is close to it's use by date. It is a very hard working job which most people put their all into.
The management however can be very lazy. They don't usually help out on the shop floor when we are busy and need more staff, and they aren't very good at organising staff time off, or paying staff the correct amount. They have had lots of problems with underpaying staff. They usually spend their time in the offices chatting amongst each other, but besides this, they are very polite to all workers, and do sometimes get involved when necessary.
Most people in work get along with each other in separate age groups, however, I would say that the younger workers get along a lot better with each other than what they do with older staff members. There are a few people that are very nosy and love to gossip but besides that, I'd say that Booths has a friendly atmosphere.
There aren't many hard parts of the job. I would say the only time I find working difficult is when there are lots of customers, like on a Saturday for example. This is because shop floor assistants are needed all over the shop to help
  more... customers find things, helping out on the tills when there are queues, but also trying to put out stock when there are lots of customers in the way can be extremely difficult, especially around Christmas time!
What I like most about the job is the friendships created. I would say that the people you have the same shifts as are the people you relate to the most and can built good friendships with, no matter what the age difference. By doing the same thing, you seem to have lots in common which is good. I also think I am good with customers so I do like interacting with the customers and getting to speak to new people!
Pros
The breaks are excellent, we sometimes get free food from sampling or when things won't sell and are nearly at their due date.
Cons
Irregular hours, and miserable staff that love to gossip! Unorganised management too.
Very little care for staff
Cafe Worker (Former Employee) –  Windermere, Cumbria30 October 2017
This company claims in its job advertisements to be a 'family company' and is all about the 'family feel'. Booths use to be a family business but it's gotten so popular now that they care very little about their workers and only about the money. They have so many different requirements that management have to meet in place that it ends up that you don't get the holiday that you were promised or end up having to take time off at your own expense (even though you booked it way in advance) because there are too many people off that week and it would go over their allowances as a department in the store. I could tolerate working here part-time because of the wage but working here full time was the worst decision I ever made and I would not recommend it. It's very clear that the management couldn't care less about you and all they want is a bonus for meeting their quotas. If you're ill and can prove that you're ill from the doctor they still try and guilt you into working and threaten you with a written warning. Horrible bunch of people which is such a shame because I used to love shopping there. Would not recommend working here - find somewhere else. Not worth what you'll go through.
Under valued staff
HGV 2 Driver (Current Employee) –  Preston, Lancashire28 September 2017
I’ll start by saying it’s not the worst company in the world but they do seem to have a way of grinding people down, the management is the least proactive I have ever worked for, with things such as H&S and new procedures taking an obnoxious amount of time to implement, many of the management team have a complete disrespect for the staff, 8hr shifts often exceed 10hrs and 10hr shifts often exceed 12hrs with absolutely no regard for work life balance or staff moral. Overtime is paid at time and a half but it doesn’t make up for the late nights and early mornings and lack of family time. The thing that makes the job bareable are the coworkers, I have never worked with a greater bunch of people before.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
Forced overtime, poor management, inexperienced supervisors, lack of respect
Great colleagues; wonderful range of produce
Customer Service Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Fylde, Lancashire6 September 2017
Best part of the job in my role as Supervisor was my role in staff support and development. I'd have enjoyed developing this.
Customer care was essential for me. This aspect became less important than re-merchandising.
Organisational changes, essential as a result of retail challenges, were implemented without staff involvement and prior information.
Pros
Staff discount. Tea/coffee/milk provided for staff breaks.
Cons
Change in shift pattern.
A great place to work
Deli Assistant (Former Employee) –  Longton, Lancashire3 September 2017
I enjoyed working at booths as it offered contracted hours and also the possibility of over time. The people i worked with really made the job as I got along very well with the whole team. the management was great.
Rubbish
Kitchen Assistant (Current Employee) –  Preston2 September 2017
Worked there for 5 years at first it was good then they changed the managment, big mistake bad hours poor pay did not get paid for hours worked would not recommend at all
Pros
Cons
Did not get paid for any over time
factory and driving work
Driver/Labourer (Former Employee) –  Bispham, Lancashire28 August 2017
this palce is ok and has some really nice people who work there but wages are not great and its the usual factory work over and over and over again, if you like that then its ok to work here.
Pros
good hours
Cons
monnotanous work
OK for someone who likes to work alone/take initiative
General Assistant (Current Employee) –  Garstang, Lancashire19 July 2017
Good job for a part time worker in higher education. Job consists of preparing food, cleaning, and general customer service. Management has alot of turnover so you may never know who is directly above you. Hardest part of the Job is living with the Incompetent management as you will not find anyone to help you after 4pm. Most enjoyable part of the job is the friendly counter staff.
Pros
No supervision/ use your own initiative
Cons
Bad management and constant staff turnover
Unprofessional and anything goes!
Checkouts Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chorley North West, Lancashire27 June 2017
I would not recommend Booths an an employer. I was ill last year and awaiting an operation and my confidential details regarding my illness were told to all the staff and they made me work harder than ever when I wasn't fit to work. I found the supervisors very unprofessional and not lenient with me at all.
Satisfactory as a voluntary placement
Retail/Warehouse Assistant (Former Employee) –  Barrowford, UK26 May 2017
I have worked in retail as a volunteer for a number of charity organisations and I am highly experienced in all aspects of retail. I enjoyed the four week placement at Booths because it was different to working as a volunteer. I helped customers and dealt with any problems as well as pricing, tagging and working in despatch. In my other voluntary placements I have got to know my regular customers so I particularly enjoyed meeting new ones and using my customer service skills. I would say that this was the hardest part of the job because it was a different environment. Retail is my passion and I am looking forward to making it my new career.

A typical day at work started with a pep talk with the team regarding the presentation of the shop and stock. Jobs were allocated on a rota system so that we all got to do everything needed. We had to use our own initiative when there were spills or breakages to make sure it was safe. Other tasks included date checking and checking for any damage to the products, replenishing and rotating stock. I learned about customer relations and the relationships with other staff and management on a professional level. I was used to working with non-perishable goods and I learned how time consuming and important it is to make sure that perishable goods meet all the legal requirements.
Pros
The experience
Cons
No job prospects
Productive and fun
General Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hale Barns14 April 2017
It was a good place to work because of the other colleagues, however I often became quite exasperated with pushy customers. Most of the managers were ok, however some of the supervisors would ask too much and annoy the general assistants.
Friendly enough workplace but ultimately undervalued and little encouragement for progression
Shop Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chorley, Lancashire30 March 2017
The enjoyment of the job has simply all depended on the management in place at the time. As it stands the current management at my store are all hardworking and offer encouragement when they can but the constant changes from store to store means that there is a change at least every few months and I have experienced certain higher personnel that have failed to treat staff with the respect that their efforts deserve. Good job if you enjoy interacting with people on a day to day basis but I feel that the perks of the job end there. Possibly the only supermarket to only offer minimum wage to staff yet there is a demand for the very best service. Also a real lack of opportunities in terms of career advancement within the company. Certainly such opportunities are not encouraged on staff and training for new staff is poor.
Pros
Good for interacting with customers, 20% discount for employees
Cons
Underpaid, lack of advancement opportunities, poor training for new staff
Productive and fun work place.
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Knutsford, Cheshire13 March 2017
A typical day at work required going in and setting all the required essentials for that day out. It was then to make sure all the hot food would be ready and the cheese counter was set up as it should be. During my time here i learnt a lot about cheeses and different cuts of meat and fish. The management would always be somewhere near by if needed. The people were very kind and a fun place to work. The hardest part of the job was boxing day when it was very busy and trying to remember the different things in a short time although it was also very enjoyable as it was a nice challenge to set myself and rewarding when i realized i was learning new skills.
Pros
Very nice working environment.
Cons
No free lunches.
Great work place
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, Lancashire10 February 2017
Great to work for even though it was only for a short while. Great staff and great company to work for. Working at Booths was nothing new to as I've worked for similar company before.
Pros
Great staff
fun
General Assistant (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Preston, Lancashire10 January 2017
Good nice environment to work in and. Most enjoyable part of the job is meeting new people at work . Management is good at booths as stuff gets checked regularly
Pros
Easy
Cons
Boring
Fun workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Milnthorpe8 November 2016
I got to learn more about working in a supermarket and got the chance to see a shop from an employees view and would recommend the job to others. It was always busy in my shifts and people were polite and i learnt to deal with questions from them. The hardest part was using new equipment that I had never used before and that was hard trying navigate around with them. I got on well with my co-workers and I learned to be more sociable in a workplace.
Pros
Good atmosphere
Cons
Short shifts
Great teammates management not good
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tea shop ulverston27 October 2016
Worked there 15years until I was let go.no support from the management. Would not recommend this company to work for. No job satisfaction. Great Co workers
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
No support from management
Nice and friendly coworkers
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Ripon20 October 2016
Workers were always friendly, it was a very warning environment and never a dull moment! Managers were always happy to help and more often than not went above and beyond to make you feel welcome and settled
Pros
Good wages
Cons
Long late hours at times
Honest and fun workplace
Kitchen porter (Former Employee) –  St. Anne's14 October 2016
Working within a kitchen environment learning new skills and working alongside the chef's at the busiest of times was a challenging and uplifting experience as I was learning new skills all of the time. Working within a supermarket environment meeting new members of departments and learning what they do within their jobs was a great experience as well.
Pros
Good workers
Awful place to work.
Cafe (Former Employee) –  Penrith12 October 2016
Started working at Booths earlier last year, started off okay until all the management was changed and it felt un organised and was under staffed on the majority of shifts. Which left customers very unhappy due to long queues and rushed food.
Pros
20% discount
Cons
Understaffed, not organised on many occasions, no social life!