BLAENAU GWENT COUNTY BOROUGH COUNCIL Employee Reviews

Sort: Helpful | Rating | Date
overall
Relief cleaner (Former Employee) –  Ebbw Vale, UK10 February 2017
i was only 15 when i started here as a part time cleaner after college, the work colleagues were so understanding and helped me learn the correct way how to clean certain things, they were very friendly and made me feel very welcome, i enjoyed the experience and it helped my confidence go up, i really appreciated every bit of help and advise of the other staff they were great.
Pros
easy hours, good staff
Cons
would of liked more hours
BGCBC - a good Local Employer
Information & Governance Officer (Current Employee) –  Ebbw Vale, Blaenau Gwent27 January 2017
A strong resilient Local Government organisation that manages a wide range of services whilst faced with continuing financial pressures
Pros
Flexible working
Cons
Reduced funding has led to limited opportunities
can be hard but worthwhile
Mid-Day Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Abertillery, Blaenau Gwent16 January 2017
i work at supervising young children during their lunch hour, I have to make sure they line up to give their dinner money in an orderly fashion, I try to make sure they eat at least half of the lunch, so they not hungry through the rest of the day.
I also have to supervise them while they outside after eating their food, and make sure they all play safely, stop any bad behavior that i may witness, also apply minor first aid for any bumps they might have, and write any injuries in the book.
productive fun place to work with friendly staff
Trainee Recreational Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nantyglo, Blaenau Gwent11 January 2017
great place to work great staff there all fun and friendly. loads lovely jobs to keep u occupied and busy. pay was not great
Good employer
HR Advisor (Current Employee) –  Ebbw Vale, Blaenau Gwent8 January 2017
Excellent benefits and supportive management. Good location with car parking and friendly/approachable staff. Would highly recommend as an employer.
Amazing Workplace.
Youth Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Ebbw Vale30 December 2016
I only worked for BGCBC for a short period of time but the time that I spent there I will treasure forever.
My colleagues were nothing but supporting and understanding.
The day was structured and every issues was dealt with as a team.
Management were down to earth and on a level with the employees. Overall, no one was better than anyone.
Pros
Cons
I lost my funding so couldn't stay.
enjoyed working as a team player
refuse loader (Current Employee) –  Ebbw Vale16 July 2016
Excellent company, regularly improves working conditions and relevant training. Good annual leave benefits. wages could.improve
Pros
breaks
Cons
hours of wtk
enjoyable
Carer (Former Employee) –  Ebbw Vale10 June 2016
team dealing with tennents/residents, prompt/administer medication,
all aspects of personal care, recording/reporting skills used,
use of hoists and other equipment, working individually or in pairs,
when in Residentail manager not very good, couldn't communicate with staff, so staff had no respect for this person,
great team to work with, we all got on well, supported each other,
to treat all residents/tennents with respect and dignity, when people are taken ill/pass away, loved chatting with all staff, residents, tennents, families
Pros
meeting people
Cons
working most weekends
Great Experience
Work Placement IT Assistant (Former Employee) –  Blaenau Gwent12 April 2016
I worked in the IT Department on a work placement whilst at school.

I gained invaluable IT and customer service experience.
fun in work
Language and play/number and play support officer (Current Employee) –  Blaina27 February 2016
I really enjoy my post at Flying start. i work really well with the team and have made genuine friendships. This role has taught me a lot, working with the whole family and multi agency professionals. Learning and taking on more experiences.
Pros
Flexi time
Cons
end of funding
Enjoyed helping people
Digital Inclusion Support Officer (Former Employee) –  Blaenau Gwent20 February 2016
Most of the day I would be out of the office helping people find work and learn new IT skills along the way. I t was very rewarding when people did pick up new skills and a new way of life by using the IT skills we taught and even better when they then moved into employment.

Worked with lots of other projects and people which was great.

Management didn't ever join us out of the office so always questioned what we did and always projected unachievable and unrealistic figures.

It gave me the motivation to start studying and try and work in job which I wanted to do after we did help and advice people who were setting up their own businesses.
I manage maintenance projects for the local authority and design and manage projects, contro and prepare budgets along with organising a maintenance
Street Lighting Engineer / Manager (Current Employee) –  Brynmawr27 February 2015
communication with staf and members of the public,
Manage a team of electricians and office staff on the day to day running of the lighting section.
Responsible for a team of eight on sie operatives and four office based staff.
Explaining to the public that we have to make savings to the budget which affects lighting of the public higway.
Designing electrical and lighting installations and porblem solving.
Pros
Mileage allowance
Cons
reduction is staff and wroking long hours.
Blaenau Gwent County Borough Council
Client Officer (Former Employee) –  Civic Centre Ebbw Vale, Gwent3 February 2015
Under valued and overworked, however a high level of specialism to be found within it's structure if you knew where to look.
Used tried and tested ways, via a cohesive comittee structure, dissapointing they lost their housing stock.

Change for change sake is no recommendation!
Pros
free parking
Cons
Lack of funding
fun
Highways Inspector (Former Employee) –  brynmawr7 February 2014
good place to work apart from nepatism. flexible hours and good pay
Pros
flexi time
Cons
lack of funding
enjoyable to work for
cleaner (Former Employee) –  Blaenau Gwent Resource Center24 April 2013
Advanced in my cleaning ability by cleaning a bigger area. Gained more experience also learned the use of diffrent cleaning chemicals.
and a pleasent work force.
Pros
friendly atmosphire to work in
Cons
needed more hours
Good place to work and good routine
Trainee Administrator (Former Employee) –  Wales26 August 2012
Good flexibility with working hours, good working hours and good management structure.
Pros
good routine hours
Cons
locations
A good place to work colleagues are friendly and helpful.
Administration Assistant (Former Employee) –  Blaina Gwent10 May 2012
I worked there for 6 months as it is only a temporary contract In which i qualified in a NVQ level 2 in business administration. I had a lot of support from my co-workers it was a very friendly place to work and when the contract ended I was saddend to go.
Pros
good hours
Cons
temporary work