Blackpool Council Employee Reviews

Good
Respite support worker (Former Employee) –  Blackpool, Lancashire9 January 2018
I enjoyed working with different people from learning disabilities to physical disabilities mental health dimentia.Have had all training needed down to admistration of medication.Have worked with helping people that need rehabilitating to go home and live independently after being in hospital have done home visits to make sure home is safe for them to go back to.Unfortunately I was made redundant as service shut down.
Pros
Pension and Holidays
Cons
Sometimes short staffed
Could be better.
Local Government Officer (Current Employee) –  Blackpool, Lancashire7 January 2018
• a typical day at work - "Doing more for less".

• what you learned - "Trust no one".

• management -" Full of narcissists".

• workplace culture - "Oppressive".

• the hardest part of the job - "The workplace"

• the most enjoyable part of the job - "Doing the actual job" then going home.
Pros
Pays the bills.
Cons
Belittling!, degrading!.
Bullying Rife. Weak Management,
Leisure Attendant (Former Employee) –  Blackpool, Lancashire3 January 2018
Bullying and victimisation is rife within leisure services, both from management & other employees. Management is weak and section managers are clueless. Staff morale is very low, no investment, perpetually looking to cut jobs & services in an effort to get people onto zero hours contracts.
All of the best staff end up leaving because the supervisors & duty managers are that inept that they are afraid to have people working under them that are knowledgeable, motivated & popular just in case their own incompetence is found out.
IF you do decide to work for Blackpool Council, especially within leisure services, make sure that you join a union from day one..
Pros
Cons
See above
productive and fun place to work
Credit Union Manager (Former Employee) –  Blackpool, Lancashire27 November 2017
Great working for a local authority. Would recommend to anyone looking to work within the public sector. Great experience and great people to work with
Lovely,fun and learn something everytime
Casual Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Gloucester Avenue, Phoenix Service18 October 2017
Lovely team and Managers ,they are like friends but staff at same time. really good on up to date training and any changes they keep you up to dated . I learn something new every time I do a shift at Gloucester Avenue and Phoenix service. It is a really nice and fun place to work, can ask anything to the Managers and main staff. if you have any worries or problems they are always there to talk.
Both services really do make a difference in peoples lives. The people who they support.
Pros
lovely co workers and always tea, coffee
Cons
wish it was more, regular hours.but it is a casual post .
Fun workplace
ICT Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Blackpool15 July 2017
A typical day at work at Blackpool Council would be to be there for 9am every morning and getting sat down at my desk with a phone and a computer at the desk. The Computer would be used to fill in the data sheets for customers with technical issues and the phone would be to engage in phone calls to find out what the problems are.
Pros
Working with colleagues all the time
Cons
The same job
blackpool council, sport
Sports Assistant (Former Employee) –  Blackpool, Lancashire25 May 2017
i found it a very good job and educational it was a good experience, good work colleges i thoroughly enjoyed job.i learnt how my hand eye co-ordination on its strengths and weaknesses.
Pros
great comunication
Cons
lack of space in the area of sports that took place
Productive work place
Session peer youth engagement worker (Current Employee) –  Various28 April 2017
Sessional youth work with hours to suit. Engaging with young people and working with them to make changes. Great management and supervision procedures.
nice work place
Dinner Lady (Current Employee) –  Blackpool, Lancashire29 March 2017
Its always busy at work from when i start til i finish but i like to keep busy time goes quicker,
i have learnt alot in this job the way a kitchen it run and how to keep safe and others safe.
also i like doing the serving at dinner time my best part of the job.
Pros
get along with everyone
Cons
just want more hours.
Typical council enviroment
Assistant Engineer (Former Employee) –  Blackpool, Lancashire23 March 2017
Safe and secure work. Typical residential work and some industrial projects. Sea wall project was a major programm and so will the maintenance and futher work that is still outstanding.
Nice place to work
leisure assistant (Former Employee) –  Blackpool, Lancashire14 December 2016
I LOVE IT :-)because I AM really sport person to use a free entry to gym or pool give me a lot of benefits so itwas a right plece for me .but to move to different place ro live a need to give 2 weeks notice
Pros
Nice place to work
Productive active mind
Lightpool (Current Employee) –  Blackpool18 October 2016
allows you to work on your team working skills and socialization skills and lets you have some responsibilities to allow you to move on with a career
Pros
Nice people
Cons
well scheduled
Stressfull
Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Blackpool6 September 2016
Spent 2 years studying to be a social worker. Found this job very stressfull working in mental health. Unable to switch off at weekend. Had 3 systems to 're Ord on
Pros
Good salary
Cons
Very stressfull
Bustling and Sociable
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Blackpool1 July 2016
Working for Blackpool Council has opened many doors for me including being able to show my skills I already had and gaining new ones.
A typical day normally involves opening or closing the tills, working the majority on my own on the desk, selling and processing gym memberships, stocking the vending machines and being that friendly face front of house who is always available to help any one that requires it.
My co-workers and myself all work as a team and work well together, we normally communicate via radios and this allows duties to be carried out effectively and quickly.
The most enjoyable part of my job is being able to sell something that I enjoy and have knowledge about and seeing the members enjoy coming to the classes and getting hyped up about their goals. The hardest part is when we come across issues such as no class cover, swimming lessons being cancelled last minute but this all comes with the job role and you learn not to take complaints to heart.
Pros
Free gym membership, chance to work at other sites, working with a good group of people
Cons
Early unsociable starts (6:45am), get a lot of youths in the area
Workforce Development Assistant (Current Employee) –  Blackpool3 June 2016
Administration, minute taking, dealing with enquiries, helping to run training events.

Job security is no longer there
Very rewarding
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Mansfield8 March 2016
My days were spent supporting vulnerable adults with personal care and medication. We had many clients whom were regular visitors to our respite service which was greatly valued by their carers. I met a wide variety of clients aged 18+ with different needs and personalities. We encouraged clients and their families to be involved in assisting us to provide personalized care. Our setting was a 5 bed roomed detached house with a large garden and parking area. We tried to make it feel like home for our guests. I also had to deal with health professionals such as G.P.'s, Pharmacies, Paramedics, Chiropodists & District Nurses. Listening skills, patience and empathy played a very important part of my role. I used to also answer the telephone, complete personal files, scan,email,copy or print off documents. Confidentiality was necessary regarding client information. I also was involved in preparing meals for different diets & tastes. I had to prioritize my workload in order of importance. I had to be able to work both alone & as part of a team. Our team consisted of my Manager, Senior Care, a domestic, handyman & other support workers. I had to work shifts including sleep-in duties, so had to be flexible. The hardest part of the job was getting up at 530 am for the 7 am start of my shift and some clients could be quite challenging/demanding.I enjoyed meeting different people and helping them & we as a team blended well. I felt very sad when our service had to close which was purely based on a financial decision and not a reflection of the service we provided.
Pros
Felt valued
Cons
Unsociable hours
tempory
Passenger Assistant (Former Employee) –  Blackpool29 February 2016
i enjoyed working there and doing the tasks set out but its wasn't really for me i prefer being in a more physical work place
Poor management
Environmental Health Officer (Former Employee) –  ENG14 March 2015
Flexible working is good but the council stretch the word flexible to their own needs and beyond reasonable expectation in some case's. Following the completion of academic teaching and practical training the job is very satisfying and you go home feeling satisfied after a days work. Following 16 years in Council you learn the council way of operating, you learn from key personnel that has been successful over many years, but change is inevitable and required as legislation changes. Unfortunately with the current cutbacks from central government affecting the workforce structure many of these key personnel are being made redundant or pensioned off leaving a workforce without skills necessary to complete the work. With these cutbacks the management structure is quickly becoming poor and lacking experience of the role they command. Management are there to support and provide skill to the lower ranks, but what if you have a manager who is not trained in your particular skills and fails to understand the legislation you impose on the community? Failure. The councils are already suffering from financial cutbacks but these managers are wasting what remains of the scattered budgets which results in further cutbacks including redundancy. This has a knock-on effect of leaving the workforce under increasing demands which can cause fatigue/stress and an increasing number of sickness days which also contributes to the lacking numbers of staff in the workplace. So the stress increases on the remaining workforce.
The hardest part of the council role is possibly change, no one likes change
  more... as they become settled in their practice and in some case's they become complacent. They fail to acknowledge change and the need for change as the role demands.
For myself, some the best days were making changes in the community where necessary to satisfy legislation, (UK and European law). A sense of achievement that a business or individual is prepared to accept the change with minimal enforcement. Unfortunately there are occasions when enforcement is required when individuals fail to comply and court proceedings are required. This becomes a more specialist role, and if the training has been fully completed then workplace confidence is demanding and a sense of achievement on winning a case can provided job satisfaction, but not necessarily workplace security. Don't be misguided by success. If your face doesn't fit or you advise a manager you dissagree your days are numbered. Management fail to accept they can be wrong especially if they are not familiar with the working practise of their employee's. This occurs with the increasing numbers of restructure and manager's are appointed another department to lead. Have faith in your employee's as they have been trained with a specific task at hand and if your a manager of another department then accept you may lack sufficient understanding and skills in the specific duties of your employee's. Now who needs training?
Pros
Sense of achievement.
Cons
Lacking security following years of training.
intresting place to be
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  prgress house blackpool5 March 2015
consists of working hard and playing hardere answering the telephone data input reviewing data retriving data and any other related tasks as required and folowing data protection laws as working with confidenail material
Pros
poliete staff
Cons
Blackpool Council (illuminations depot) (Former Employee) –  Blackpool, ENG18 February 2015
Hours worked 8 till 4:30 loading the wagons.Learned how the illuminations depot operate .Management was good you only need to ask if you had a problem.Co workers great to get a long with ..When i left at the end of my short contract.Working on the cliffs putting the large tabloids up .
Pros
good hours plus overtime
Cons
short contract