Birmingham City Council Employee Reviews

Worked in a school
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham9 December 2017
Education is now more about paper work than education. The council also has to be ruthless with budget cuts which means less staff and more children. Overall a good place to work, but not much work life balance.
Day at fostering services
Professional Support Officer (Current Employee) –  Birmingham City Centre, West Midlands22 November 2017
I manage a caseload of 100 foster carers payments and weekly pay them in a timely manner. through this I communicate with carers, social workers and team managers. I have learned effective communication skills.

During our meetings I take minutes for the actions necessary I enjoy doing this. we all work well as a team and individual basis. The hardest part is when you don't get the paperwork from social workers or notification from team mangers and there's gaps in pay and then I have to go back correct it all which results in over and under payaments.

I enjoy liaising with carers and answering their queries successfully. I like completing my work in a time frame that gives me job satisfaction.
Pros
flexible working hours
Cons
no incentives and our team had alot of relocations
Good establishment to work for
KS2 Teacher (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands21 November 2017
I have worked within Birmingham City Council since I qualified as a teacher. I have worked at the same school. It is a good school and supported by the local council.
Pros
Children are lovely
Productive and fun work
Customer Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  birmingham city centre19 November 2017
Busy call centre environment. Good mangers and friendly work atmosphere. There is a lot of jobs within the council and there a lot progression if you are willing to learn and adapt.
Pros
Good Pension
Cons
No free parking (expensive)
A typical day at work
Housing Benefit Officer (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands16 November 2017
I currently enjoy working at Birmingham city council and the people I work with are great. I feel its time to move on to progress my career and find a new challenge.
fun place to work, hard times at the moment
Nursery Nurse (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands13 November 2017
the buildings themselves are fun as the staff who work there work hard for their clients. knowing your job is on the line all the time isn't much fun at the moment.
Pros
great team to work in
Cons
loss of job could be at any time
good place to work
Debt Collector (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands8 November 2017
All of the above tasks are carried out after 2 weeks of shadowing when new staff start, once they are confident and once they have completed all the mandatory and specific training to service.
Pros
good place to work
Cons
lots of phone calls
Stressful
Former manager lecturer (Former Employee) –  Ucb Birmingham5 November 2017
Absolutely awful place to work very time-consuming, very stressful never a moment spare moment overloaded with work expect you to do so much in the hours required you end up taking it home and working around 50 to 60 hours a week lack of support from management
Pros
Salary
Cons
Pressure and stress
challanging
Support worker (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands2 November 2017
The clients were all challenging in their own way but each and every member of staff was trained to meet these challenges in a caring manner, good team work helped
Productive and fun place for children to attend
Assistant Playworker (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands29 October 2017
Was a great place children to attend out of school hours n holidays safe environment and lots of fun activities to do until they shut us down sad times
Very Busy Work Enviroment
Appointee & Court Deputy Officer (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands26 October 2017
A major employer in Europe providing work opportunities for its citizens whilst providing essential services to the community and businesses.

Good.
Pros
Flexible Hours
Cons
Budget cuts / staff shortage & increrasing workloads
Work has a team
Referral Advice Officer (Former Employee) –  Birmingham21 October 2017
I have work for Birmingham City Council, advising parent, Professional on the telephone and on a one to one basis, i enjoy my role have gained much experience and shared this with staff members. i am confident with the role i take on and am always willing to come in early or stay behind, if the service needs me.
Pros
Fantastic Team to wok work
Work summary
Safeguarding Minute Taker (Current Employee) –  Birmingham20 October 2017
Trawling emails. Attending meetings as minute taker, within the workplace and covering Birmingham. Ad hoc training. Typing of minutes in draft, seeking approval from the Chair and ultimate distribution. Keeping the minutes database up to date.

Being able to work autonomously is something that suits me well.
Local Authority
Housing Needs Officer (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands17 October 2017
Great employer. Excellent working conditions. Plenty of scope to improve on existing skills and also invests in its work force. I would recommend the local authority as great employer.
Good People
customer service advisor (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands11 October 2017
Birmingham City Council has a great pension and also has good people who work within the contact centre, however I wish there were more chances for progression.
Good leadership and direction from managers
Team Manager (Former Employee) –  Birmingham26 September 2017
Overall great place and organisation to work. Very person centred in approaches to customers and stakeholder. Good opportunities for training and career development
Pros
Pension and job prospects
Cons
funding
Many possitives
Local Authority Officer (Former Employee) –  Birmingham18 September 2017
Birmingham City Council has needed to make challenging financial decisions as a result of mismanagement. It has however, provided me with many years of experience working in challenging social housing and private housing environments.
Loved working for bcc
Lunchtime Supervisor (Current Employee) –  BIRMINGHAM15 September 2017
I have enjoyed working for bcc with children and fulfilling my role as a lunchtime supervisor have been doing this job for nearly 5 years but I need a change now as my hearing is not good any more trying to listen to young children in a noisy background so am looking to change my job role
Fun and welcoming environment
Lunchtime Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands14 September 2017
My work place is a very welcoming and fun school to work in. Everyone is very helpful and tge senior management are always around if any member of staff needs advice.
Met some really wonderful people
Advisor (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands21 August 2017
A typical day includes finding cover to get children home to school. Learned to be patient and nice to people. Hardest part of the job is not able to get a guide and have to rely on school staff. This makes things harder. Most enjoyable part of the job is when everyone is at work and no one off sick.