Birmingham City Council Employee Reviews

Good People
customer service advisor (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands11 October 2017
Birmingham City Council has a great pension and also has good people who work within the contact centre, however I wish there were more chances for progression.
Good leadership and direction from managers
Team Manager (Former Employee) –  Birmingham26 September 2017
Overall great place and organisation to work. Very person centred in approaches to customers and stakeholder. Good opportunities for training and career development
Pros
Pension and job prospects
Cons
funding
Many possitives
Local Authority Officer (Former Employee) –  Birmingham18 September 2017
Birmingham City Council has needed to make challenging financial decisions as a result of mismanagement. It has however, provided me with many years of experience working in challenging social housing and private housing environments.
Loved working for bcc
Lunchtime Supervisor (Current Employee) –  BIRMINGHAM15 September 2017
I have enjoyed working for bcc with children and fulfilling my role as a lunchtime supervisor have been doing this job for nearly 5 years but I need a change now as my hearing is not good any more trying to listen to young children in a noisy background so am looking to change my job role
Fun and welcoming environment
Lunchtime Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands14 September 2017
My work place is a very welcoming and fun school to work in. Everyone is very helpful and tge senior management are always around if any member of staff needs advice.
Met some really wonderful people
Advisor (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands21 August 2017
A typical day includes finding cover to get children home to school. Learned to be patient and nice to people. Hardest part of the job is not able to get a guide and have to rely on school staff. This makes things harder. Most enjoyable part of the job is when everyone is at work and no one off sick.
Fair Employer
Business Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nechells14 August 2017
I was very impressed at first but towards the end they became very demanding. They were some extremely supportive Management at the Birmingham City Council
day at work
PA to Assistant Director of Customer Services (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands2 August 2017
variety of tasks

multi tasking is an important part of the role

management is very supportive towards staff

i learn new things every day

i enjoy my job
Easy going
Street Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands2 August 2017
There was no typical day as each day you could be doing a different job from shop fronts, housing, barrow boy, leafing, bulk collections.
I didn't learn much job wise, but I did learn to be more confident when meeting new people.
Closed shop culture
Enforcement Manager (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands10 July 2017
Politically volatile environment.
Some lovely people to work with but Council is badly managed.
Terms and conditions of service are second to none with generous leave, salary conditions for staff.
Pros
Flexible working hours
Cons
Changing priorities
Fun workplace with flexible hours
Gate Keeper (Former Employee) –  Birmingham6 July 2017
Working for the council was a pleasant experience with colleagues being fun, helpful and easy to get along with. the job required a high level of organisation but this was not a difficult requirement to meet with a great group of people working with me.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Could have had more hours of work
Good work place
School Admissions Adviser (Current Employee) –  City Centre5 July 2017
Nice place to work though sometimes can be a bit too bureaucratic. Two many work systems in place which can sometimes lead to delays in resolving an issue. Pay is a bit awful for lower Grade staff.
Pros
Flexible working pattern
Cons
Too rigid in terms of hours one can work
hard work
Maintenance Team Member (Former Employee) –  birmingham5 July 2017
taking calls from council tennents logging calls on computer liasing with team leaders on customer care.folling up jobs with satisfaction calls to tennents
Pros
non
Cons
non
Great team
Customer Service Trainer (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands3 July 2017
It is an enjoyable environment, however you must be able to adapt to the culture change that takes place in certain departments. It is very, flexible, great pension scheme and good salary.
Enjoyable place to work
Refuse Collector (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands27 June 2017
I work 37 hours based over four days with an option of overtime on my fifth day most weeks. I start at 530am and finish at 307pm. I work as part of a 3 or 4 person refuse crew and we collect either household rubbish, or recycling. On average we walk between 8 to 12 miles per day, whilst loading around 10 to 20 tonnes of rubbish per day. It is a job i have had to learn to be patient with public as you often come under criticism and abuse for doing your job. I find the most enjoyable part of the job being the freedom of working outside in all weathers, and the satisfaction of having to work hard both physically and mentally each day you are at work.
Pros
Freedom, outdoors, work individually and part of a team, satisfaction of working hard
Cons
Constant heavy work load, and abuse from members of public
excellent
Home Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Shard End, Stechford, Kitts green23 June 2017
I really enjoyed working for Birmingham city council as a carer. But unfortunately I have arthritis so I was not able to do my job to the best of my ability. I found my boss's so understanding & very helpful
Pros
Loved the job, loved looking after people & I felt safe working for the council
Cons
Weekend work, also going from a late shift to an early start
Great Company
Refuse Collector (Former Employee) –  Birmingham12 June 2017
loved my job but had back injury really enjoyed working a Bham City Council devo when i could no longer work as a bin 3 years since left MISS the place i was a hard reliable worker but injury ended my career a city council wish i coulda stayed.
Pros
4 day week good money
Cons
hard back breaking yet rewarding work
Working at the elections
Poll Clerk (Former Employee) –  Birmingham11 June 2017
Working at the Elections as a Poll clerk is a very long day but worth the pay that you get in the end as it isn't a job that will tire you out completely.
Complex and can be difficult at times
Benefit Officer (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands6 June 2017
Colleagues were great. It was always busy and you have to complete assignments as we all have targets to meet otherwise you will be performance managed.
Lots of pressure and you are being watched like a hawk.
Pros
Salary is pretty good
Cons
Being watched and monitored
good
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands6 June 2017
Answering incoming calls / data entry / complying with Data Protection Act
issuing bills / forms / letters and explaining complex issues in detail
Liaising with other councils / local authority / court and police department
Deputising manager when she’s away and adhering to the council’s code of conduct.