BaxterStorey Employee Reviews

Depends on your manager
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh11 November 2017
If you have a good manager this company works well. If you don't then you end up being bullied into doing things you aren't comfortable with and as my manager said "you're replaceable" and "the employees come last". My boss was fired for bullying and no other boss lasted more than 5 months. Impressively bad tbh. Approved holiday only to refuse it later.
Pros
Free food
Cons
They don't care, long hours, everything, avoid at all cost
Work for free
Chef (Former Employee) –  Sheffield, South Yorkshire24 September 2017
Worked in the kitchen single handed with very little help from the management, expected to work overtime for no money sometimes an extra 20 hours a week . When challenged I was told it's expected of you so get on with it
Manager to busy shopping or standing in the kitchen cooking her lunch during service to care
Pros
Straight shifts
Cons
Unpaid overtime
Great Company...Great people
Catering Administrator (Former Employee) –  London EC2V 5DD20 September 2017
I loved working for Baxterstorey, only leaving because of having a baby and deciding to stay at home.

The company are very focused on training, and I had lots of on the job training as well as being sent on various courses.

The salary was good and I felt like my managers always listened to my opinions and ideas, and took them on board even if they weren't viable.

Would highly recommend them and happily work for them again if a suitable position arose.
Pros
Flexible working hours
fun enviroment
Commis Chef at Nats CTC (Current Employee) –  Reading28 August 2017
Everyday is slightly different whilst testing new and exciting products and meeting new faces almost everyday. Everyone works hard to completed their individual tasks whilst helping others if the help is needed. There is always a laugh to be had whilst in the kitchen. There's a lot of training but it is essential to benefit all members of staff so there is an understanding of company policies and legislations which are all in place to keep everyone safe and the business to run smoothly.
Pros
Free meal during break times, free training
Good enviroment
kichen porter (Former Employee) –  London Bridge Station, Greater London3 August 2017
My day of work was with fixed hours which was satisfactory for my family life. It was given me the opportunity to work in a professional environment.

I completed two courses sponsored by the catering company.

The company ended my contract suddenly without a strong reason. This was an unhappy experience for me.
Pros
Free lunches
productive
General Assistant (Former Employee) –  edinburgh sheriff court24 July 2017
good place to work, very varied work load, very unfriendly colleagues, good hours , pay was reasonable,mostly enjoyed hosting lunches for court jury..
Pros
free lunches
Cons
unfriendly colleagues
nice place
General Assistant/Barista (Former Employee) –  Holborn, Greater London13 July 2017
i worked in 3 different units for baxterstorey and all of them were different. some very busy and others not so busy, but all of them with great team and customers which makes everything easy.
Good work home balance
Front of House Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Oxford, Oxfordshire13 July 2017
They rather employee larger numbers of staff to reduce overtime good for some but not for others.
Good staff meal provided and uniform. Everyone is kept up to date with training.
Pros
Staff food, uniform and hours
Cons
Poor pay
80 Strand Pearson
Events Co-ordinator (Current Employee) –  Embankment Station21 June 2017
BaxterStorey have always been very helpful throughout my career. From training, to day to day man management. All staff are extremely helpful and reliable.

For my current role, I manage all the bookings for Pearson's headquarters at 80 Strand. I organised all the big events on the executive floors and take bookings throughout the building for clients such as Penguin, Pearson Education and DK books.

For the 2.5 years I've been at Pearson, I have learnt so much about the catering industry and now feel I have great understanding off all operations within contract catering.
Pros
On site catering for all staff, great facilities and great training opportunities
Cons
Non so far!
Dependent on where you're placed
Catering Assistant (Current Employee) –  Stirlingshire12 June 2017
I've worked at two Baxterstorey but were very full on and stressful. The first one I worked at the the managers were lovely and encouraging, the atmosphere was quite laid back. The second one I worked at was the complete opposite, the managers were horrible. It was clear that everyone engaged in gossip about each other. The job was extremely stressful and very poorly managed, I received no training. It was clear that in both posistions the managers had not received much training. Additionaly in both posistions I was not paid in time as there was no communication with head office about my employment and salary. This has happened twice and it made me feel extremely under appreciated, it was a situation that has happened to almost everyone I have worked with at Baxterstorey.
Pros
Free food and flexibility
Cons
Poorly managed and lack communication
Friendly and developing workplace
Hospitality Assistant (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London5 June 2017
My typical day at work starts at 8.30-10.00 depending on the number of scheduled meetings and start time of the first one. As a hospitality assistant I've learned how to be a better organized person. My managers are very kind and helpful. They have created a friendly work environment. The most enjoyable part of a job is the opportunity to meet a lot of people who help me to develop my language skills. For me, as a person who lives in the UK since February this year, the hardest part of the job is learning new culture and work requirements, but, because I'm open minded and hard working I'm a good employee and colleague.
Pros
Great people at work, free lunches and beverages
Cons
not enough meetings / not enough work to do
Management awful, very low staff morale!
Food Production (Former Employee) –  Stirling, Stirlingshire25 May 2017
Absolutely shocking place to work! Management have no clue whatsoever how to run a catering business. Staff turnover is very high due to the terrible working conditions. Always understaffed so the workforce are doing far too much with not enough time to do it. Communication is non existent so everyone is just left to get on with it. No fair work allocation, so the favourites do nothing while everybody else carries the can. Wages are an insult, and even then you're lucky if you get paid the right amount on time. Thinking of working here? Save yourself a lot of grief and don't go near them.
Pros
Free lunch, if you get time to eat anything!
Cons
Every possible aspect of bad employment applies here.
A lovely company to work for
Fsa (Current Employee) –  Bolton, horwich18 May 2017
Preparing deli, salad bar and pots , stock sheets and cash handling. At the end of the day helping to clean down and shut up. I add the oppertunity to go to the chef acadamy where I learned a great deal.
Pros
Free lunches and bus pass
Overall okay
General Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dunfermline15 May 2017
It was nice to get free food every day. The job was fairly easy and there was always plenty of us working so it never felt overwhelming even when it was really busy.
horrible atmosphere
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Melbourn, Cambridgeshire27 April 2017
This kitchen is a horrible place to work in as the manger don't seem to help in any which way. Since I have left it has been taken over by another company so may be completely different now. The restaurant is always busy in the morning and lunchtimes as it gets filled by the clients working upstairs.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
Bad management bad company!
Food Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Liverpool28 February 2017
Managers with no management skills. Minimum wage expected to do everything and with no communication makes things really difficult. No team work. Awful atmosphere. Would never work for this company again!
good company
Chef (Former Employee) –  Peterborough City Centre, Cambridgeshire15 February 2017
great manager working for the company was amazing fun and a great experience you should feel proud if you recive a potion at such great company worked for the company for several months no let downs but one.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
not much
Very pleasant environment to work
Vending Engineer (Current Employee) –  Ellesmere Port14 February 2017
Each day is different from the last. However the one thing that remains is how great my fellow colleagues are. I am constantly learning within my role however the one aspect of myself that is continually developing is my ability to manage my time effectively and prioritise tasks.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Not enough hours
Great Workplace
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  North Acton, Greater London26 January 2017
Baxtorstorey is a good job. It keeps you busy and is really challenging. I definitely learned a lot there and met some wonderful people. I felt very and safe and comfortable
Top of there game
Relief Chef Manager (Former Employee) –  Chef Manager18 January 2017
A market leader for independant companies.
they take the whole meaning of customer experience to a new level.
The attention to detail is fantasic, i real felt part of a team and a individaul on a career path.
Creative thinking with the food, mindful in valuing their key assets the employees.
would truly be a honest to work alongside teh taltented people.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BaxterStorey. Our community is ready to answer.

BaxterStorey Reviews by Location