BASF Employee Reviews

Professional and friendly
Shift Fire Officer (Current Employee) –  Bradford, West Yorkshire27 October 2017
Been an employee for 27 yrs but shortly leaving due to restructuring 4 years ago! Great company to work for and a very safe company to work for. Values are high and they reward hard work with bonuses and benefits! Sad to be going!
Pros
Bonuses, pension and safety culture.
Cons
Fantastic professional environment. Friendly and sociable.
Chauffeur to the chemical company (Former Employee) –  Cheadle Hulme, Greater Manchester23 June 2017
Working as a chauffeur for BASF was a fantastic opportunity for me to elevate my standing as a driver. Often responsible for meeting BASF European counterparts at the airport and transferring them onward to hotels and meetings was a big part of my job. Liaising with section PA's was paramount in the organisation of driving transfers. All personnel treated me as one of the family and I have very fond memories of my time there.
Pros
Super friendly organisation
Cons
Good solid company and employer
Commercial Manager (Current Employee) –  Manchester25 May 2017
A very large organisation with many different business units. If you are happy to move to Germany or move around the world then career advancement is possible. Lots of internal demands.
Pros
Good pension and share scheme
Cons
Not the most dynamic of companies
BASF is one of the better companies
fermentation research scientist (Current Employee) –  Littlehampton13 October 2016
My day is varied. As a research scientist I am either analysing data, creatively approaching problems to find new solutions or performing experiments. I am currently testing a new centrifuge which is very interesting and could save our site up to £2 million.

I have learned to culture nematodes in bubble columns and in fermenters. I have learnt to approach problems scientifically and to question my results. I have learnt tenacity... if you fail, its called learning.

The hardest part of the job is to accept a negative result and to learn from this failure. Another hard aspect of the job is to convince people that your results are worth persuing in a larger scale
Pros
Good pension and health benefits
Cons
Poor location
weighing/packing
Weighing/ packing/labeling (Former Employee) –  Littlehampton25 July 2016
fast going days. I learned how weigh using electric scales. Deep cleaning a lab. Packing and labeling.The management were hopefully and understanding as i joined the team after a family loss and had to have some days off. I joined through The Best Connections.
Pros
overtime
Cons
temporary
basf
My job role Process Specialist (Former Employee) –  Bradford20 June 2016
under confidentiality I do not wishes to disclose what I did had a very good team and enjoyed my job
Support for Project Engineers
Technical Clerk (Former Employee) –  Cramlington23 February 2016
Supporting the Engineer in collating Quality documentation required for handover to main department, small company but with a close knit staff
Busy, fast paced. Restructuring has caused some chaos and demotivation in the workforce
Technical Expert / Shift Chemist (Current Employee) –  Bradford, ENG3 February 2016
Fast paced. High productivity. Busy site. A good place to work.No complaints.

The site is undergoing a restructure with the introduction of an annualised hours shift pattern has caused some disruption.

People are generally helpful and hardworking. The site restructure have resulted in some demotivation and negative behaviour. I am sure in time this will improve as the workforce settle in to the new shift format.

The site is quite well paid for the sector and as a result of this the staff turnover is quite low. This has resulted in an aging workforce which the management are trying to address.
Pros
Good share scheme and bonus scheme
Cons
Ongoing site restructure having some negative impact
Productive Workplace
Production Colourist (Current Employee) –  Deeside3 December 2015
Productive workplace, not much room for progression. supportive management poor wage structure but benefits such as health care and share scheme a good plus
Very Lean driven,
Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  Bradford, ENG29 September 2015
Very busy stressed working day
Very educational driven, diplomas before experience
Site Management doing there best to maintain a structure
Co-workers scared of loosing their careers
Stress levels high,
The hardest part of the job was seeing the heart taken out of the workforce
Most enjoyable part of the job are the people who work on the site,
after 25 years on this site, BASF bought Ciba bringing the workforce to its knees in 7 years.
Pros
Knowing you work for the largest chemical company in the world
Cons
Tasks too great for the reducing workforce and management, dangerous stress l;evels
Basf
Manager (Current Employee) –  England17 September 2015
BASF is an excellent company to work for and do things right.
They have very high standards on health and safety and this goes before anything else in the business. Salaries and benefits are above industry standard, however most opportunities for career progression are in Germany. The UK is very slow for job moves and they do not operate an equal opportunities program. On the whole I've really enjoyed every minute of it and would fully recommend BASF.
Pros
Good training opportunities, multicultural.
Cons
Slow slow career opportunities in the UK. Germany loads of jobs.
great workmates
Chemical Process Specialist (Former Employee) –  paisley15 March 2015
I was fortunate enough to work at paisley site for many years,job was good with a very decent salary and work balance great staff there,help always readily available and met lots of dedicated people there,sadly all good things come to an end and site is closing but i did enjoy my time there and have fond memories.
Pros
salary was great and staff fantastic
Cons
Interesting and insightful place to do work experience.
Work Experience - Legal Department (Former Employee) –  Cheadle, ENG1 February 2015
I undertook a week's work experience at BASF plc and I found the whole experience to be very insightful into what it would be like if I were to actually work for a company like this in their legal department. I worked for the week from 9am until 5pm with an hour for lunch, and throughout the day I completed many tasks for the head of the department. Within the week I researched queries relating to the registered share capital of one of BASF's UK group companies, I sorted through the property deeds for various BASF UK owned and leased sides and amended the deeds schedules to accurately reflect the contents of the deeds packets, I created two bible's of documents relating to a legal entity consolidation of two BASF UK group companies, I wrote a letter to a consortium of energy companies in response to a request for comments on a proposed development, and I archived a number of legal correspondence files, among other jobs throughout my time at BASF. My manager for the week was very helpful and friendly and was very approachable if I needed to ask any questions or required any help with the tasks I had been set. My co-workers were also very helpful and insightful into what it was like to work at BASF, and I got along with them all very well. The hardest part of the job for me was understanding some of the tasks I had been set as at the time I had no legal knowledge or understanding but if I ever had a query my boss was always willing to help me. The most enjoyable part of the job was working in the office environment as it was very sociable and never boring and I found the work  more... I was doing very interesting.  less
Pros
Free lunch, fun friendly environment.
Cons
N/a
Doing different jobs and good team mates.
Chemical Processor (Current Employee) –  Paisley12 November 2014
A typical day at work is charging colour pigment into a vessel then emptying the colour back out into a container.

I learned new skills in the chemical industry for example working with computers, doing maintenance work, health and safety and learning about the different products that our pigment is used for.

The management team at BASF are good at managing the work place, giving us the training skills to do our jobs, also they are very hands on when it comes to man management which allows for a happy work place.

There is a very good core of people who work in BASF, who work well as a team in the work place as well as enjoying a good social scene with your work mates.

I would say that there is no hard part of my job as each day there is something different happening in my work.

The most enjoyable part of my job is the new skills I have acquired during my time with the company and my shift pattern which is 4 on 6 off.
Good, but hard work
Manager (Former Employee) –  manchester5 November 2014
Challenging, hard work, high workload, not much work / life balance
Pros
on site canteen
Cons
Rewarding and fulfilling but undergoing a major restructure
Industrial production shift chemist (Current Employee) –  Bradford, ENG30 October 2014
I have enjoyed working in this fast paced production environment over the last 35 years at this site.

I have enjoyed making a significant contribution to helping to improve the site efficiencies. This culminated in myself inventing a new catalyst to make a key ingredient for the site. I consider this as one of my major financial contributions to the site.

On a personal level I took much satisfaction in playing a key role in establishing a new production department on this site and took up a 2 year secondment as the plant manager. This helped to secure jobs for the people who took up the challenge to work in this new department.

I have a reputation for challenging the accepted norm and to question why things are done in certain ways in a constructive way. This, I believe, helps to drive through improvements for the betterment of all concerned.

The hardest part of the job for me is that I set high standards for myself and sometimes I expect others to follow those standards. I have learned to be patient with others
Pros
Enjoy being part of a busy production environment and my days off
Cons
Long hours.
OPERATIONS MAINTENANCE COORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  Paisley, SCT8 October 2014
Dirty environment but still a good place to work, enjoyed my 28 years here, sad its coming to an end. There was always opportunities for advancement and development, learned lots of skills over the years.
Pros
Good shift pattern, great colleagues.
Cons
Closing down of the Paisley site, scunnered.
Production Operative
Production Operative (Current Employee) –  Swinton, SCT18 September 2014
I worked as a production operative within the powders department. This involved manually producing building materials such as adhesives, construction grouts and concrete admixtures. This was a manual job that involved a lot of concentration and a keen eye for detail to ensure accurate measurements of raw materials. I also covered for absent staff in the quality control department, testing manufactured products prior to dispatch.
Interesting and rewarding job
Production Operative (Former Employee) –  Manchester, ENG17 September 2014
Working at BASF construction chemicals plc was a good experience. I was making bulk mixes of construction chemicals using a state of the art powder plant. some of the product I made ended up on some of the biggest construction projects in the world today for example the London crossrail. I was manufacturing specialist cement and concretes made specifically for that project. The management and my co-workers were great. It is a shame the job was only temporary but i feel that I gained a lot from working at BASF constuction chemicals plc.
Pros
experience gained
Cons
The role was only temporary
A good world wide comapny to work for
Analytical Support Technical Specialist (Current Employee) –  Bradford, ENG2 September 2014
A good world wide comapny to work for. Typical day involves analysing samples, writing reports, trouble shhoting intruments.
Pros
Good pension scheme, holidays and private health care
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BASF. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2