Barnardo's Employee Reviews

productive
Volunteering (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester12 February 2018
the sense of gratitude and good you get from volunteering is amazing. I enjoyed helping out and the manager was really amazing great at helping and easy going.
Volunteer sales assistant - charity shop
Volunteer sales assistant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London11 February 2018
It is a decent place to work at, helps gain experience. But is a pain as you do not get paid.

Glad I only do one day, I serve people at the till, greet customers, help with deliveries and donations and provide good customer service.
Pros
gain experience in sales assistant role
Cons
no pay
Fun and friendly.
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Barnstaple11 February 2018
Worked with this company for a week as required by my school to gain work experience and i can say i did learn new skills and this week boosted my confidence.
Pros
Fun and easy.
Cons
Wasn't my career choices.
Barnardos
Administrator/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Bournemouth, Dorset5 February 2018
Good company to work for, I have felt that I have helped to really made a difference to young peoples lives whilst working for Barnardos.

Good management support .

Family friendly
Welcoming and friendly environment
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow5 February 2018
Welcoming and friendly environment, great place to be as the people are amazing and supportive. Fully trained and supported consistently by staff at all times.
great place to work fun company
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Whickham2 February 2018
day to day work included stock rotation customer service and handling good inwards and outwards checked on products to make sure things where to there better standards.

hardest part of the job included making sure items was working to the best of my ability bad customers, rude people
Pros
great team, working good hours
Cons
bad customers rude customers
Happy helpful place to work.
Till Operator (Former Employee) –  Perth, Perth and Kinross28 January 2018
Arriving early to set up the shop, go and check the sell buy date and either reduce price's or put in a recycle bag. Make sure there was no hazzard's, the floor was clean. Then go to the safe for the cash open the till and sign the beginning of the till roll. Unlock the door for the customers to come in. Keep putting out the items that are for sale, price them before you put them in a place where customers can see them. Then when other staff came in they would make you a cupy. If you were short staffed you just had to have it if and when you got a chance. If we had all the workers in you would be able to go to the back shop and put your feet up. There were a few ladies that prefered to serve at the till so you could go down stairs to do steam cleaning, empty the donation bags that had been handed in. The latest bags went to the end of the line. Then it would be lunch time before you knew it. It would depend on how was in first thing they would go to lunch. So that would mean there was always two people on the counter, one checked the price of the item or items the other would ring it up in the till and took the money and helper would wrap or fold the item into a plain carrier bag. Then after lunch you would do it all over again. People would bring in there donations into the shop and leave them at the till so we would get someone from downstairs to take them down stair to keep the floor clear, nothing for the customers to trip or fall over. Then its three in the afternoon, that is when most of the people down stairs leave (they are people on community pay back) Then about  more... four o'clock time to cash up. Useulay it would be the manageress that did it. But like most things if you can prove you are honest and able to do so, you would do the cashing up. You would get the keys and open the safe collect the float that was used for the till to exchange the takings out of the till also take a reading from the receipt roll for the total off the tackings. You would also take receipts for the outgoings with the money to the back office. You would write down in the cashing up book the total of expenses at one side then court and bag the cash write that in the bank pay in slip then count the notes write them in then check that the totals are both the same, finally take the money to the bank. Then It's back to the counter check the rota for tomorrow. Then it's time to lock the door and wash the floor. Take the drawer from the till with the start of tomorrows takings to the safe open and put in side, then lock it away till the next morning. Check all the doors and windows are locked up put the lights out walk to the door unlock go outside lock the door pull the shutter down and lock.  less
Pros
All the staff are nice and friendly
Cons
Emptying some of the bags can be awful. (that is why we have to wear gloves )
Amazing place all around!
Volunteer Worker (Former Employee) –  Wilmslow28 January 2018
I fully enjoyed volunteering in Barnardo's and being part of great team. It's a fun experience and the boss was very friendly. It's a great way to boost your confidence and make you feel good knowing you doing charity work!
Pros
Friendly people, great way to gain confidence
Cons
Close too soon
Fun and friendly place
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Peterborough24 January 2018
I would start my working day with put new arrivals (clothes) on hangers and place in the shop, keep shop clean, help customers, and sometimes steam the clothes.
Pros
Easy, friendly
Cons
Lots of work
Enjoyable working environment
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Northampton, Northamptonshire23 January 2018
Very enthusiastic working environment, easy to get on with everyone and everyone is helpful when you do need that extra help. Job includes being responsible for the shop floor, putting new items out and taking down old items.
Productive workplace
Assistant Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Chorley, Lancashire23 January 2018
I volunteered each Saturday for a year and a half and was involved in a variety of tasks - working behind the till, helping out customer’s needs, organising the shop floor and steaming clothes. I developed interactional skills with customers and I found that I was very capable of dealing with monitory issues, my organisational skills were also improved. The team I worked with was very friendly, and I enjoyed communicating with customers and helping them out. The hardest part of the job was steaming, as the amount of dust produced in the clothing affected my health a lot.
Pros
I got a discount on in store purcheses.
Cons
It affected my health.
Barnardos ASC
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Bicester, Oxfordshire22 January 2018
Management and organisation is poor. everything is communicated last minute and is not heard first hand from management. when started no induction was given.

working alongside children really is special, they make your day at work. just a simple smile makes your job worth it.

I have learnt many skills and have been on many training courses in which I will take with me.
Enlightening place for experience
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Aintree, Merseyside20 January 2018
Working there was a great experience, and i am glad i had the chance.
Even though only work experience it help me to understand how it would be to be involved in working life and volunteering there was amazing.
The people who worked there helped me lots and were always around if i had any questions.
Friendly place to work
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Harpurhey20 January 2018
I worked at Barnardos on a voluntory basis. I first learnt to communicate with the public by working at Barnardos. I learnt to use a till and to price items for the public to buy. I would stock up the shelves with donations from the public, take cash at the counter bagging the items for the customers. I got on well with Management and work colleagues and I pop in to see the staff on occasion still. There wasn't anything hard about the position and I could work as long and as short as I wanted to work.
Pros
No set hours
Cons
It was voluntory so no pay
Fun workplace.
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Long Eaton, Derbyshire20 January 2018
I have been volunteering at my local donation centre for nearly a year. The staff are friendly, the work is hard but rewarding. I'd recommend anyone to volunteer here.
Tense - as a volunteer
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dereham, Norfolk15 January 2018
A typical day would be customer focused on the shop floor.

I learnt how to deal with the till, take cards, and talk about fashion.
The management changed in the first few weeks and he was picking it up on the spot. The deputy had a terrible attitude and I had difficulty dealing with that.

Workplace culture - tense at times.

Worst - Dealing politely with the other staff who seemed to think it was demeaning to be on the shop floor.

Most enjoyable - dressing the front window, which always sold out, and I had to do it again! Moral - don't do it too nicely!
Pros
working with the public
Cons
unpaid
excellent
Volunteer Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Shrewsbury, Shropshire15 January 2018
excellent place to work, staff are friendly the customers are amazing, the job is fun to do. you have loads of fun and messing about. shame it is free work.
an amazing place to work
Shop Assistant (Current Employee) –  Sunderland11 January 2018
since ive been volunteering at Barnardo's i have met some amazing people and gained a lot of new skills including serving customers and handling both card and cash payments for their purchases
Great place to get basic experience
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Longbridge11 January 2018
A typical day can involve a lot especially if it's a small store and there's only a couple of people working, ranging from pricing items or serving customers or simply steaming donated clothes.
I gained a lot of confidence during my volunteering, which was helped by the management and other staff being supportive whenever something happened to go wrong.
The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing you're helping by giving your time, and that you can choose when you work so it can fit nicely around your schedule.
Fun, fast paced and progressive place to work
Volunteer Shop Assistant (Current Employee) –  Linwood, Glasgow9 January 2018
Loved every minute. Great experience, looks great on your CV and teaches you great skills like Till Operation and customer service. Would highly recommend working there to anyone considering it.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Barnardo's. Our community is ready to answer.