Barnardo's Employee Reviews

Fufilling
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bangor19 November 2017
This was my first job-like experience and I found it to be very enjoyable as I developed my communication skills and gained other skills which I could apply to future jobs.
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Castleford, West Yorkshire19 November 2017
Fun place to work, staff fully enjoyed their work and supported each other.

The only reason I left was due to the long hours and the commute to and from work on a daily basis.

Loved the charitable ethos of the company and how they wanted to support both service users and staff.
Pros
Good salary
Cons
Long hours to complete the work
Productive and Fun workplace
Team Member(Volunteer) (Current Employee) –  Orpington, Greater London16 November 2017
Banardos is the charity shop to work in. The atmosphere was calm, and the volunteers hardworking and kind. I started off with simple tasks , like steaming and tagging clothes, and now I have progressed to working in-store on the till.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  West Bromwich15 November 2017
Highly productive and very busy. It was engaging and allowed me to experience a fast paced environment. I could enjoy the task assigned and also learn from that experience.
Fun and productive place to work
Volunteer retail assistant (Former Employee) –  Coatbridge13 November 2017
Working voluntarily with Barnardo's gives you experience without the pressure of working in a paid job. They give you the opportunity to gain experience and also support their local charity.
Pros
Gain experience of working in a retail environment.
Its good expierence
Shop Assistant (Current Employee) –  Alfreton13 November 2017
I enjoy working at barnardos with other member of staff and talking to the customers my bosses are really nice. the enjoyable time at the job is break eating biscuits.
A Miserable place to work
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rawtenstall13 November 2017
Miserable place to work, Disorganised, everyone runs around like headless chickens. The Hardest part of the Job is staying awake.The most enjoyable part about working at Barnardos was going home!
Pros
Not working at Barnardos
Cons
Working at Barnardos
Productive and strong team
Voluntary Worker (Former Employee) –  Mansfield11 November 2017
Barnardos was a wonderful charity to work for. The team I worked with were friendly and we all worked hard to ensure that everything ran smoothly for the customer.
I only volunteered for 4 hours once a week but the hours provided valuble experience.
Experience
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Worksop8 November 2017
I started working here because I wanted to gain valuable experience before moving up to paid work, this place did exactly that for me. Here I was able to learn the key skills working in retail and boost my confidence skills as well as my customer service skills.
Pros
Free experience, great friendly people
Cons
I can’t really say anything negative, this job gives exactly what’s needed.
Disappointing
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester7 November 2017
There is a blame culture within the retail sector and very little help, support or guidance is given by management whether you're succeeding or failing. It's a great cause, but there is no connection to the charitable side of the organisation from the retail sector.

Want to know more about Barnardo's?

Ask a question
Relaxed and caring atmosphere
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Norwich, Norfolk6 November 2017
I only volunteered here for a few months, however I was quick;y supported in building communication skills that have allowed me to move on and start finding a full time career.
Pros
Supportive staff
Cons
Not too much of a challenge
fun workplace
volunteering (Former Employee) –  Ilford, Greater London3 November 2017
for the time i was there, I really enjoyed working with the staff and working with the young people and children. the after school clubs were never the same each week and the nursery was always lovely to meet new parents.

Over the course of the time i was there, i learnt a lot more about the different disabilities that are out there, learning about myself and also a different form of teamwork.

The hardest part of the job was working with young people with the most severe disabilities, as it wasnt always easy to communicate especially if they were non verbal.
Pros
free dinners at some of the after school clubs
Relaxed
Barbados volunteer (Former Employee) –  St. Neots2 November 2017
This was a very relaxed environment to work in due to its small size and small volume of customers. Because of this there were generally only two people on floor at a time but it was still an enjoyable environment which kept me busy.
Pros
Relaxed
Cons
Quiet
barnardos
Sales Associate (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Dundee30 October 2017
on a typical day at work would be for me is fun,enjoyably and exciting i've learned a lot like cashing up, good customer and much more and i am part of a great friendly team.
Pros
long lunch
Cons
not much hours
amazing time
Retail Worker (Former Employee) –  Derby30 October 2017
amazing times with great management and would recommend it to anyone. ever worker there is great and there is an amazing atmosphere when I did my work experience there.
Pros
amazing place, any hours, great company
Not fun
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Fife30 October 2017
Management was poor. However, allowed me to achieve new skills such as working with customers, handling money. Was a bit bland and the manager was a bit judgemental.
Voluntary job
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manchester26 October 2017
Not a difficult job, or physically challenging. Basic duties included accepting deliveries and donations, rotating stock, putting price tags on goods, and keeping everything presentable.
Pros
First choice at donations, staff discount.
Cons
Sometimes bagged donations aren't so sanitary; it was also volunary, so it wasn't sustainable
Nıce to deal wıth the customers
sales assıstant (Current Employee) –  Takeley, Essex26 October 2017
Have a good team of volunteers who make the shop a success. Have buılt up good relatıonshıps wıth the regular customers whıch ıs reflected ın the sales of when ı work.
Productive and friendly
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, Devon24 October 2017
The typical day's work for one weeks work experience was to keep the store floor well presented, clean and tidy. Putting out new stock after sorting it out from delivery. When a delivery came in I had to make sure all the clothes were in good condition to be put out on to the shop floor and after this I had to price the items and attach price tags to them. I learned that good customer service is very important for a store and I learnt how to communicate well with colleagues and the customers. The management were friendly and were always there if you needed help with anything I was unsure of. They were good instructors and taught me well with the responsibilities they gave me to do. To be honest the whole experience was amazing and I enjoyed every moment of it, I sometimes would forget to have lunch break because I was so focused in the work I was doing and would sometimes stay a little late to help out with closing the shop.
Pros
Friendly environment, an hour lunch
Productive and Fun workspace
Shop Assistant and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear21 October 2017
Working for Barnardo's for work experience has helped me improve my work skills in many way. Working as Cashier/Sales member helped me improve my confidence.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Barnardo's. Our community is ready to answer.