Barchester Healthcare Employee Reviews

Good and bad
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Uckfield11 December 2017
Good company to work for, managers are approachable and there are good opportunities for promotion, worked harder there than anywhere I've worked in care on 12 hour days. Good camaraderie amongst staff, but wages are average in spite of the high fees charged.
13 December 2017

Thank you for your message. We appreciate you taking the time to leave a review – we're sad to lose you, but wish you luck in your future career.

Horrendous place
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chichester, West Sussex7 December 2017
I worked for Barchester for 6 months a year ago. It was my first time doing care and I was mortified. People weren’t using manual handling correctly. Most nights we had 3 carers with 55 residents. I was cornered up and screamed and sworn at by an employee on a night shift yet I still had to work with the person for another 2 weeks as it was the Christmas period and management weren’t in. The pay wasn’t good at all. I feel bad for the residents. When leaving the job and going to another home I learnt how you should care for a vulnerable person and provide good practice.
Pros
Non
11 December 2017

We’re sorry you felt this way about your time at Barchester. We would like to hear further details on your experiences with us. If you could please email us at: onlinefeedback@barchester.com

Great team
Kitchen Porter (Former Employee) –  Hayling Island6 December 2017
working fr barchester had its benifits such as training when you request it, paid breaks, a great team working there and getting to meet some really amazing people
7 December 2017

Thank you for your kind review. We're always sorry to lose great staff, but we're glad you look back positively on your time at Barchester.

Well what is good about barchester
Rehabilitation Assistant (Former Employee) –  Forest care center Hospital27 November 2017
Worked there over a year seen management come and go current manager is rubbish at her job no people skills pure ignorant and the clinical leads are no better if your face fits your fine and talk about furthering your Carer which You can’t progress in this job don’t listen to the stuff they preach in the induction!
Pros
Home time
28 November 2017

Like any other corporate organisation
Business Manager (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London27 November 2017
Working across numerous locations across the country can be quite stressful. A corporate culture is not for everyone but for those who want a challenge its great experience.
28 November 2017

Thank you for your feedback – we value all responses and appreciate you taking the time to leave yours.

Difficult..
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Malton24 November 2017
Barchester certainly have enough finances at their disposal but I found most funding was used to portray an illusion to the public/media. The Service Users were the main factor that so many employees remained there. Management & organisational criteria were both dismal to say the least. Favouritism was blatant throughout the whole staff compliment and bullying between staff rife. Nurses were pushed beyond the limit that they could reasonably be expected to endure despite the accepted hard nature of the job to start with hence the turnover. Carers were treated poorly with no management support over the weekends. Training was, however, good but same was impossible to put into practice due to the ongoing disorganisation of The Off Duty Rota. The Home I was in was very political to say the least with little incentive or motivation given to HCA's.
Pros
A big powerful company.
Cons
No support.
27 November 2017

productive work place
Healthcare Assistant (Current Employee) –  The Lawns, Darlington24 November 2017
i have been in this place of work for only a few months. Within these few months, i have found this role to be very rewarding, taking care of those who are vulnerable and in need.
Pros
close to home
Cons
not enough hourly shifts
27 November 2017

Clique and favouritism mentality
Registered General Nurse (Former Employee) –  Kesgrave22 November 2017
Bad work experience;
Residents are the highlight of working at Barchester;
A lot of favouritism for people who perform below the company's expected results;
Management is appalling - lax at the GM level and not putting the clients at the forefront of any type of decision making;
Pay is good for a starting nurse;
Be careful who you consider a friend at the workplace
Pros
Lovely residents
Cons
Vitriol and small mindedness at every level of staff
23 November 2017

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We’re sorry you’re no longer at Barchester, but we wish you every success in your future career.

Terrible place to work
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Perth16 November 2017
I wasn't given any breaks on my nightshift, I wasn't given anyone to shadow I was just left to get on with it on my first day, management are terrible and don't listen to staff, my wages weren't correct and I am still waiting 2 months later for them to be corrected
Pros
No pros
Cons
Terrible company wouldnt reccomend anyone work for them
17 November 2017

Professional environment
Care Practitioner (Current Employee) –  Caldy15 November 2017
It has driven me to further a career in health care and given me the skills and experience I feel that I need to do this. I have realised through working at barchester what it means and how important person centred care is and how it should be the for front of everything we do.
Pros
Knowledgeable experience
Cons
Inability to better myself
16 November 2017

Thank you for your message. We really appreciate your feedback.

Do not work for barchester
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hampshire12 November 2017
I worked in one of the barchester home's in the south. The management are appalling. Not helpful at home and down right rude at times. Very rare are you able to get your whole hour break, but yet they expect you to work right through.
Never ever work for them unless you want to dog poopoo on their shoe.
Pros
Good salary for under 25s, residents
Cons
Long hours, Management, management, management, put them selves first never their residents.
14 November 2017

No staff,bad manager and very rascist with european nurses
Unpinned Nurse (waiting for pin) (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen5 November 2017
I had an offee to work there some months ago.
The day shifts where like 14 hours a day.Day Staff was doing everything and all the time the manager was listening to staff sayings.
All the time I was taken in the office with no reason and disciplined based on fake accusations of the staff.I think it was because I was an foreigner
Pros
Free lunch and paid sickness
Cons
Bad manager, short staff and low paid
6 November 2017

Please be aware we take the content of your comments very seriously and will be looking into this. In order to gain a proper and fair understanding of your past experience we would ask you to email us at onlinefeedback@barchester.com with your contact details so that we can follow up with a call.

Great company and very supportive management
Carer (Current Employee) –  Trowbridge, Wiltshire22 October 2017
I started with Barchester last month and I have recieved amazing training and the home is very resident based offering excellent care and activities .
A team based environment and very supportive management .
Yes it's hard work but very rewarding and I am hoping for a long career with Barchester as they share my values towards person centred care .
Pros
Supportive team and management
Cons
Can be hard work
23 October 2017

Sinking ship
General dogs body (Current Employee) –  Gloucester, Gloucestershire22 October 2017
where to start, the current interim manager speaks to everyone’s like dirt. Expectations from company are unsustainable. Long hours no support just constant requests can you do, why haven’t you done!!
Staff are demoralised, overworked and long standing members of staff are thought less of as new members come in on a higher rate of pay.
I will miss lots of people especially the residents when I finally leave.
The amount they pay for a service that isn’t there is a disgrace.
They have lost some great members of staff because of the bully culture it has turned into.
Pros
Residents
Cons
Everything else
23 October 2017

We’re sorry that your recent experiences at work have been difficult. We are keen to learn from your comments so that we can keep hold of good staff. We’d like to encourage you to get in touch with us via onlinefeedback@barchester.co.uk. If you email over your contact details our central team will then get in touch for a chat. Your personal details will be kept confidential.

Be Your Own Boss
Laundry Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cirencester12 October 2017
As a member of the Housekeeping Team I am allocated a whole area to clean on my own and as a result I can strategise and plan my shift to carry out certain tasks by prioritising them.
Pros
Free meal if working a longer shift.
Cons
Weekend work.
13 October 2017

Very poor
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Basingstoke, Hampshire11 October 2017
As the biggest hollcarehome in Basingstoke thus is a Terrible place to make a living, residents are amazing and it's a pleasure to look after them but the constant bullying of management is disgusting to see and endure. On a daily basis you will see managers shout and threaten staff members for little reason and then expect staff to carry on being happy and cheerful for the residents? Staff are great and work hard except for a couple like all places but management is terrible using bullying and intimidation on staff members. Warning to all not to work here! Also poor salary for the physically demanding work that is expected.
Pros
Residents
13 October 2017

We’re sorry you felt unsupported. Please be aware we take the content of your comments very seriously and will be looking into this. In order to gain a proper and fair understanding of your experience we would ask you to email us at onlinefeedback@barchester.com with your contact details, so that we can follow up with a call.

Only positive aspect are the residents.
Nurse (Current Employee) –  Torquay, Devon30 September 2017
Support- Not much.
Supervision-Not much.
Praise given-Very rare though quick to criticize.
Nurses job-Paperwork and meds no time for anything else.
Management expectations-Far to much.
Pros
A limp sandwich.
Cons
Long Hours, Little team work, Back biting, No empathy.
2 October 2017

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. If you’d like to provide any further information please email onlinefeedback@barchester.com.

care and support
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kingston upon Hull27 September 2017
enjoyed the nursing home
learnt loads
nice staff and nurses
managers they cant keep them long before they leave
always busy lots to do
can be stressful when low on staff
Pros
free lunch if on all day
Cons
low pay
28 September 2017

Thank you for your message. We really appreciate your feedback.

Good Company, would recommend it, sure!
Chef (Former Employee) –  Cheltenham, Gloucestershire26 September 2017
Very good company to work for, too bad I can't apply now as I quit, the main reason was that I wanted more training and the other one that I couldn't afford a home closer to the home! Also,just 24 hours a week wasn't enough for me at that time, maybe now would be great!
Pros
Free lunch, nice managers !
Cons
Not accepting former staff back!
27 September 2017

Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Milford house11 September 2017
Good working environment , friendly patients and staffs. Offers free lunches and long breaks. I enjoyed working at barchester and I would recommend it to anyone.
Pros
Free lunch and lunch breaks
Cons
Short staff
12 September 2017

Thank you for your message. We really appreciate your feedback.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Barchester Healthcare. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8