B&Q Employee Reviews

Great company, great place to work.
Personal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Southampton, Hampshire22 February 2018
B&Q is a great place to work with great people. B&Q seeks out talent and provides massive opportunity to fulfil your goals, to grow and succeed. I would recommend B&Q to anyone looking for a new challenge.
Pros
Saye, paid holidays and sickness, pension and potential bonus
Great team but not a lot of opportunities for progression
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Paisley20 February 2018
The working environment is friendly and there is a great sense of teamwork. You are expected to know a lot about the products so it is important to get up to speed with that as quickly as possible. The other staff are always there to help. You are expected to be flexible and work at various different times. The salary is also very basic. A lot of staff are on smaller contracts and only get overtime during busy periods.
Pros
Good people to work with
Cons
Not a lot of opportunities for progression
A good and very safe place to work with a team that got the job done .
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Swindon20 February 2018
Working as a part of 3 shift system my days were usually early or late shift.

My main duty was the receiving of stock but i was called upon to help out in other departments during my time with the company i learnt many aspects of team work and health and safety issues .

Management was in a tiered system and much of my dealings with management was done through my team leader

The majority of the workforce knew what was expected of them and completed these tasks on a daily basis

being a distribution centre for a d.i.y retailer a lot of the intake was seasonal (ie Christmas, Summer) this caused peak periods and at times lack of room in the warehouse was a problem

one of the most enjoyable aspects of the job was ending a shift seeing the results of a hard days work
Pros
working with a good team with excellent team management
Cons
lack of space in warehouse at peak periods
Fun work place
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Kettering, Northamptonshire19 February 2018
Great work environment, good training opportunities, relaxed atmosphere, good employee benefits, overall a good place to work but with not much chance of progression
Absolutely Disaster of a company
Customer Service Representative (CSR) (Former Employee) –  Glashoughton18 February 2018
Poor Management, no training and poor work/life balance. Only apply for a job with this firm if you are desperate. I lasted 2.5 moths before I finally had enough of their bull.
Pros
Non
Cons
Seven day week starts on Sunday so they get away with making you work the whole week end
Friendly environment.
Front End, Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ayr17 February 2018
Your standard day at B&Q can be a busy place with a friendly atmosphere.
I have learned different skills through computer skills and customer service.
The management team are very supportive of their staff.
It is a friendly place to work as all backgrounds are welcome.
The hardest part of the job would be the complexity of the ordering system and the most enjoyable is the amazing staff you work along side.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Not enough hours
Productive and fun
Customer Advisor (Former Employee) –  castle point17 February 2018
A good place to work, interesting products. Always had a fantastic team around me. Plenty of training given. Only negative is very varied working hours.
Excellent place to work
RETAIL CAPACITY PLANNER (Former Employee) –  Chandlers Ford, Hampshire16 February 2018
Loved working for B&Q and I intend to go back one day. Great atmosphere and fantastic opportunities to learn and grow. The people really make the company.
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Newport15 February 2018
Standing still while not being busy inst great, I feel as if i should be able to be more productive and should have been able to go back to my original job role.
Pros
Standard shift
Cons
Standing still in one place
Bullying culture at Halifax
Trading Manager (Former Employee) –  Halifax, West Yorkshire11 February 2018
I’d like to state that I’ve worked at other b&q stores and none were like this. The store manager is a bully who is unfit to to be in any type of management role. A bully who forced staff to emotial breakdowns. Would scream and shout at staff refused to pay sick pay even if staff had been genuinely been off sick. The atmosphere in the store is terrible and amount staff turn over is crazy. Staff that just can’t work in these working conditions. The other reviews you will read about the halifax store are all true after experiencing it my self. Staff scared to death of warning after warning and managers arguing amounst themselves to score points. The fact that the unit manager has no idea how to treat people and what happens in that store is illegal such as working hours and refusing to pay sick pay.I’m amazed that this has not been looked into by higher management. It’s not only the way staff are treated customers also shocking customer service I’m amazing anyone shops in the store. There’s some really great people in the store who shouldn’t be forced to work under his tyranny.
Pros
Good people in store
Cons
Unfit unit manager
Challenging but fun
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, Hampshire10 February 2018
A typical day for me is making sure the frontend of the store is clean and to expectations, returns and the checkouts and self scanning checkouts are manned throughout entire opening hours. I also deal with cash office and banking on a daily base as well as issuing change. I also have to check that are click and collect service runs smoothly and below are expected time to be ready. I also have to deal with any complaints or complements that arise in store or on phone. The store itself is a great atmosphere the people are great and all work as part of the team.
I think the hardest part of my job is knowing when to switch off when you have finished for the day.
The most enjoyable part of my job is knowing my team can come and talk to me about anything or any problems as I have earned the respect of my team.
Pros
Good staff discount
Cons
on your feet in steel toe cap boots for 9hours a day
Nice offices, overall experience good
Excel Administrator (Former Employee) –  Southampton7 February 2018
Everyone very friendly and polite, building was lovely, culture was a bit weird for temporary staff and I wasn't invited to meetings or team events and didn't really feel like one of the team.
It’s always busy!!
Trade Counter Assistant (Current Employee) –  Torquay, Devon7 February 2018
Great bunch of people to work with. Always a good laugh. Can get busy and hectic at peak times. But we all work as a team. The shifts do very from week to week. But that’s retail.
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
Odd shifts
seemed fine
Customer Advisor (Former Employee) –  aberdeen scotland7 February 2018
Wasn't there long enough to judge.

Everyone I encountered was pleasant and very helpful. Because of that it made the day pass quicker.As I was only person doing my job it was never dull.
Pros
staff discount
Cons
sometimes no breaks
Great Staff
Customer assistant (Former Employee) –  Stratford-upon-Avon, Warwickshire6 February 2018
Had the best team working with me at B&Q, supportive and was able to have friendly banter!!!!

Like most places the management could be improved upon.
Pros
20% discount
Cons
Long hour, occasional last minute timetables
Appalling place
Customer Advisor (Former Employee) –  Leicester, Leicestershire6 February 2018
started off okay but seriously went down hill. management are bullys and expect too much of you. moan when something doesnt get done rather than helping.
customers treat you appallingly
almost no training is provided. you learn on the job.
staff are friendly and make it worthwhile.
hours arent too bad however you have to work 3 saturdays out of 4 and get only 1 weekend off a month.
almost no progression unless you fight for it
Pros
bargains. staff
Cons
management
Good company
Shop Floor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newhaven, East Sussex5 February 2018
I worked for this company just over a year and a half and I started off on night shift which were very nice and easy it helped me know where items where on the shelf quickly, I then moved on to the tills and I quickly learnt how to use the till and I got to interact with the customers. Then I moved onto the shop floor and worked in decor which I loved because I loved selling valspar at hit a record at the store I worked at.
Pros
Good money
Cons
Good place to work just not flexible enough for my home life
Customer Service Advisor (Full-time) (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth5 February 2018
Not flexible enougth to fit around my home life due to having children and working every other weekend makes it a struggle to see my children as much as I would like to.
Pros
6 weeks paid holiday per year
Cons
Not very flexible
Its a good company to work for
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  York, North Yorkshire5 February 2018
Good company with great managers that are down to earth.staff are always happy help with customers and each other so great team work.they are also very flexible with the hours to be worked on a daily basis.
Pros
Good people
Training
Operational Training Manager/Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Doncaster, South Yorkshire5 February 2018
great company to work for , plenty of opportunity for development.
The culture is friendly in the stores, the warehouse distribution can be difficult at times , owing to different contractors looking after B&Q stock.
The most important part was how enjoyable to see the development of staff raising through the ranks.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at B&Q. Our community is ready to answer.