Aston University Employee Reviews

An international working experience
Student Ambassador; Postgraduate Mentor (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands11 August 2017
Through working at Aston, I found British working is more structured and flexible. I can feel about the cultural understanding and it makes me know more about British working environment.
Pros
Flexible working time
Fun relaxing job for students
Event Guide (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands14 July 2017
Great opportunity to meet prospective students of Aston University. Managers are always well organised, you can expect a pleasant shift and everyone works together as part of a team
Pros
Decent pay and break
Cons
Not enough hours
Interesting and challenging
Residence Officer (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands11 July 2017
Really enjoyed the constantly changing, stimulating environment to work in. Being student facing in a high pressure environment was highly satisfying.
fun
Tour representative (Volunteer) (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, UK21 June 2017
i loved being a tour rep as i got to show people what i loved about my university and it also helped me to learn about my university at the same time which was brilliant.
Supportive Team
Research Student (Current Employee) –  Accounting Group, Business School21 June 2017
I am working in a great environment where the research team are always supportive and care about the research students. My supervisors are experienced and thoughtful. They always give me the best instructions and guidance on how to balance the life as well.
Excellent place to work
Internationalisation & Employability Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham26 April 2017
Aston was a very good place to work. I learnt a lot during my time there. The management at the Business school were extremely helpful and willing to go the extra mile for you and the students
Lovely work team
Cleaner (part-time) (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands11 April 2017
emptying office bins
Cleaning desks
Vacuuming the offices
Cleaning toilets
Cleaning kitchens
The manager is very nice and very good at listening to you
Pros
Work uniform
Cons
Not lot of hours
Excellent
Lecturer (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands23 March 2017
Brilliant place to work and study, one of the best university's in the midlands. Highly recommend working there, management is great and students are bright and keen.
Mixed Feelings
Pensions Consultant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands21 March 2017
This may be an odd situation but I have mixed feelings of my time as the role I applied for completely changed between the time of accepting and time of starting. Despite this, the revised objectives provided me with the opportunities to get involved in areas which I previously have not been involved in. Having fulfilled these objectives quickly I have been used more as a business resource rather than pension specific tasks.
good place to work and get experience
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Engineering and Applied Science6 March 2017
very good employer, lots of opportunities if you are planning to progress your academic career. it may be more difficult if you are a professional member of staff
As a PhD researcher
PhD Researcher (Former Employee) –  Birmingham6 December 2016
I was a PhD student at Aston University and being an international student, it was a self funded PhD.
As a researcher the environment was quite flexible, which helped me to manage work life balance well. My supervisor was quite supportive and the Life and Health Science office was very cooperative.
fun workpalce
Student Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Birmingham16 October 2016
nice working environment
flexible working time
improving communication skills
can help different people with their problems
Peasant and enjoyable
Water Management (Former Employee) –  Birmingham5 October 2016
I enjoyed working here as the staff was well relaxed and offered a calm approach, as well as this the management gave you room to grow and always offered support.
Pros
friendly
Programme Administrator (Former Employee) –  Birmingham19 September 2016
Lots of meetings with department heads.
Political and hierarchical workings of a typical business environment.
Clear management that interact with all employees.
A friendly but professional environment.
Coordinating meetings and operations with such a large and diverse operating workforce, for example: lecturers will operate differently from staff dedicated to the business side of the University.
The working environment is a friendly and sociable one which makes integration much easier.
Pros
Additional training in all areas
Cons
Sometimes long hours
great experience
Assistant Research Technician (Former Employee) –  Birmingham24 August 2016
I worked here during my placement year and I loved it. Everyone was extremely welcoming and lovely when I got to know them more as the months went by.
fun and creative
EVENT DESIGNER/ORGANISER (Former Employee) –  Birmingham4 February 2016
great work, designed an Arabic theme events hall for a language course advertisement seminar. the event had to hold at least 60 people, with the intention of drawing students to the course.
Pros
free food
Cons
tight time scale
Productive, fun, demanding and satisfying
Director of Residential Services and MLK (Former Employee) –  Birmingham25 January 2016
On every level a fabulous place to work - highly recommended. Fabulous colleagues, customer and service focused, committed to staff development and a culture which embraces change
Cons
Bad work/life balance, inadequate job security
research fellow (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ENG15 December 2015
The working conditions are unsatisfactory and there are no real prospects for an academic career. Many times the management is not fair against the employees.
flexibility, commitment
Training assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, UK25 November 2015
fun place to work, good atmosphere with polite students
exciting project to work on. lots of encouragements for the managing team. work taking into account the quality of life
Fast-paced, fun and challenging
STUDENT AMBASSADOR (Current Employee) –  Birmingham29 September 2015
• Represent Aston University at Higher Education conventions and careers fairs to support and encourage prospective students to aspire to university.
• Enhanced presentational skills through delivering Campus Tours and Student Life talks to visitors on Open Days and during school visits.
• Developed leadership ability whilst supervising groups of visitors and promoted positive team cooperation in group exercises.

I enjoy the variety of work and meeting new people along with helping and advising potential students about university life.